RE : [sig] fur trimmed hat

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2006
      The Renaissance Tailor has a nice set of directions:

      http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_asianhats.htm

      And I have one set of patterns on-line (soon to be two sets) with brief instructions:

      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/patterns.html

      In Service,
      Sofya

      Message 2 of 17 , May 9, 2006
        I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
        raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
        and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
        embroidery scissors.

        Does anyone have recommendations for seam finishes?
        Particularly, what finishes are period? What finishes
        work well?

        Thanks,
        Sfandra
        (plotting summer sewing for PENNSIC!)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Stephanie Ross
        Message 3 of 17 , May 9, 2006
          Try this website Sfandra.

          http://heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/linen.html

          Nadya

          Does anyone have recommendations for seam finishes?
          Particularly, what finishes are period? What finishes
          work well?

        • Lente
          Message 4 of 17 , May 9, 2006
            well I found this
            http://heatherrosejones.com/archaeologicalsewing/index.html

            And in a odd connection I have just recieved this past weekend a book call
            "Know your Viking" (viking sewing machine), and while skimming through it I
            have found a couple of things I might be using in the future, and I found
            out that i am missing a manual and have a title to ask for at the closest
            dealer (about 140 miles away). Anyway if you can get specialized feet for
            your machine the one my book talks about for the viking is a 5mm narrow
            hemmer foot to help do the second half of a lapped seam. Which I thought was
            definitely cool since that is one seam that has driven me nuts to do. Now
            lapped seams do show up as a line (or 2) of stitching on the outside as its
            the stitch used on jeans.

            the French seam is the other one I hate to do, cause of all the little bits
            wanting to stick out. I will admit I have a serger so most of the time that
            is my seam finisher. But when I want a better seam finish I will either make
            a lapped seam and hand sew it down(or my version of it) or a mock french
            seam. A mock french seam is basicially sewing the layers together with right
            sides to together with a 5/8" SA, then turning both raw edges into towards
            the seam and sewing a topstich along the outside edge, it does end up being
            a stiffer seam than a regular french seam though, here's a site showing it
            http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/qa/aaqa0601c.htm or here
            http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_machineseams.htm or here
            http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/26-fcm/fcm-toc.html along with a lot of
            others.

            Kathws

            > I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
            > raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
            > and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
            > embroidery scissors.
            >
            > Does anyone have recommendations for seam finishes?
            > Particularly, what finishes are period? What finishes
            > work well?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Sfandra
            > (plotting summer sewing for PENNSIC!)

          • Ilijana Krakowska
            Message 5 of 17 , May 9, 2006
              I believe that the trick to French seams is pressing the first stitching open, then trimming raw edges to one eighth inch before the second stitching.
              Ilijana

              Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
              I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
              raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
              and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
              embroidery scissors.

              Ilijana Krakowska
              Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed counterchanged.

            • Lisa Santucci
              Message 6 of 17 , May 9, 2006
                Something I came across in my research on Rus Rubakha's is that the initial
                seam is sewn with the traditional running stitch and then one side of the
                excess fabric is trimmed down to 1/2 the width and the longer piece is then
                folded over and "flat felled" down to the garment. I makes for less bulky
                seams and extremely durable. the seam finishing doesn't take too much extra
                time but should be done by hand for best results.

                Hugs
                Cinara
                > I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
                > raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
                > and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
                > embroidery scissors.
                >
                > Does anyone have recommendations for seam finishes?
                > Particularly, what finishes are period? What finishes
                > work well?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Sfandra
                > (plotting summer sewing for PENNSIC!)

                > --

              • abbondanza
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10, 2006
                  Greetings,

                  Use 1/4" seam allowance for the first pass through the sewing
                  machine, trim to 1/8". Pressing is important, open your garment
                  so that it lies flat and press the seam flush to one side of the
                  garment (do not open the seam and press flat), then fold the
                  other side over the seam and press this flat, pin it and make
                  your second pass on the machine 1/4". At this point, iron the
                  fabric so that the seam runs along one side of the garment, pin
                  it on the right (out)side. Hand stitch the seam on the inside
                  flat to the garment. What you will have is a beautifully
                  finished seam, that will always lie flat when you are wearing
                  the garment which will be easier to iron after laundering and
                  will not require mending for _years_. I sew all of my linen
                  gowns in this manner, it is well worth the effort, as it is
                  done, once, per gown.

                  In service,
                  Antoinette de la Croix
                  AEthelmearc

                  > Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
                  > I've been french seaming my garments, which keeps the
                  > raw edges nice and protected, but creates bulky seams
                  > and I find myself triming bits that peek out with tiny
                  > embroidery scissors.
                  >

                  > Ilijana Krakowska
                  > Per pale argent and gules, two cats sejant addorsed
                  > counterchanged.

                  "Be the change you want to see in the world."
                  -Gandhi

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Lente
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 10, 2006
                    that's what I did on my long wool coat, but I have found since that my wool
                    is so thick (prewashed 3x's in hot) the seam allowances will not lay flat so
                    now I am going back and doing a herringbone (or catchstitch) on the inside
                    down each side of the seam to keep the seam allowances flat. since I'm using
                    a matching color in sewing thread its not showing on the outside, not
                    certain it will show on the outside. I also used the same stich for the hem,
                    keeps it all nice and flat so I don't catch the hem on stuff.

                    Kathws

                    Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:38 AM
                    Subject: RE : Re: [sig] Seam Finishes

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 10, 2006
                      Thanks for all the great advice. I think I was just
                      frustrated, because I have a tendency towards heavy
                      fabrics -- heavy linens, decorator cottons etc, -- and
                      that leads to bulky seams!

                      I'm going to try flat felling more, instead of french.
                      And larger seam allowances too. :-)

                      --Sfandra

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                          Do you really take a heavy wool and boil it? what are you making,
                          shoe soles? That happened at my house by accident last year when my
                          size 44 sweater was accidently washed in hot water, and came out size
                          4T. The thought that passed though my mind was, ah! so this is how
                          to get suitable material to make felt boots.

                          But, if the wool is more typically thick,and the construction press
                          is done right, the only time I have really had trouble is if a coat I
                          had loaned out was machine washed, treatment no wool coat deserves.
                          for that matter, wool coats should be very seldom washed, wool does
                          not absorb sweat and oils and aromatics like cotton, and if allowed
                          to air well will have just the right, er, quality, for the 16-17th
                          C.
                          -Rick

                        • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                            Actually if your seam allowances are so thick that they are not at all
                            ravelly, you can trim the seeam allowances down as close to the seam
                            as you can get without cutting the seam stitching. Many extant wool
                            garments made from thick textiles have barely any seam allowances at
                            all (1/8" and they stand straight up), and some are even butted
                            together instead of folded over into a seam.

                            The seam finish you're doing, Kathws, will certainly hold the seam
                            allowances open and flat, but there will still be bulk. If you don't
                            want that bulk, you can trim it without much fear of unravelling in
                            this case.

                            Kass
                            Reconstructing History
                            http://reconstructinghistory.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                              Most of the serious 14C people felt thier wool, most
                              especially for their hose. The hoods are quite thick
                              as are their winter wieght coate hardies, but not
                              felted x4! They count on a third shrinkage on average.
                              'dok

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • historian@reconstructinghistory.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                                Tim,

                                The 4X Rick experienced is because he shrunk a sweater (which is
                                knit), not something woven, which won't shrink nearly as much. =)

                                Rick,

                                They aren't boiling their wool as much as they are "shocking" it with
                                a hot wash and cold rinse in the washing machine. While this doesn't
                                exactly full the wool as it would have been fulled in the 14th
                                century, it thickens modern wool to the point where it more closely
                                resembles medieval wool and doesn't ravel, so you can leave your hems
                                unsewn and do the seam finishes as they were done in period without
                                fear of your clothing fraying.

                                Quoting Tim Nalley <mordakus@...>:

> [...]
                                >> > a matching color in sewing thread its not showing
                                >> on the outside,
                                >> not
                                >> > certain it will show on the outside. I also used
                                >> the same stich for
                                >> the hem,
                                >> > keeps it all nice and flat so I don't catch the
                                >> hem on stuff.
                                >> >
                                >> > Kathws
                                >> >
                                >> > Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:38 AM
                                >> > Subject: RE : Re: [sig] Seam Finishes

                                >> using heavy wool cloth
                                >> closely to see
                                >> evidence of
                                >> need any sort of
                                >> edge
                                >> least with soldier's
                                >> other for rich men's
                                >> needs to be
                                >> pressed

                                > http://mail.yahoo.com[1]

                                > Medieval costume[2] Medieval knights[3] Slavic[4]

                              • Lente
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 11, 2006
                                  Okay I just saw this message. I started out with 100% wool that I bought at
                                  hancocks several years back, I think it was a plain weave (call it a jacket
                                  weight) that was 5 1/2 yds by 60" wide. And yes I meant to full the wool,
                                  basically I washed it in the hottest water my washer does three times, I
                                  didn't dry it between washes, just pulled it out of the washer to get the
                                  twists out then put it right back in. After that I tossed it in the dryer
                                  and dried the wool until dry, probably a couple of hours with lots of
                                  checking to clean out the lint trap. After all that the wool ended up being
                                  4 7/8 yds by 45" wide with ripply edges which did make me figure out a new
                                  layout using the unshrunk selvage edges, I ended up putting all of them
                                  along the back seam and one the shoulder seams of the sleeves. I then made
                                  it into a full length coat since I don't like cloaks; it also works great as
                                  an extra layer on the air mattress. Since it is so bulky if I need to wash
                                  it I will probably do it the bathtub with cold water. I have had to get some
                                  juice my kids spilled on it out once and when I looked closely at it the
                                  juice had just set on the surface and dried all goey, so it really was more
                                  of a rinse out in the shower, but it took a week of hanging to dry fully.

                                  This isn't the first piece of wool I have washed. Some of the things I have
                                  found out washing wool are these: Plain weave fulls the best, don't EVER do
                                  a wool crepe unless your looking for a really dense peice that will have
                                  shrunk a lot (2 1/2 yds by 60" down to 32" by 36"), a twill that I have
                                  prewashed shrunk the smallest amount about 4 inches in the length and
                                  nothing in the width, got a little fuzzy but that is about all. When you
                                  have your garment made up from that point on if washing your wool garment in
                                  a washing machine use the gentle/hand wash cycle in cold water only. Don't
                                  be surprised if when your wool is dry clean if the dye changes, I had one
                                  that changed from tan to grey, I understand the dry clean fabrics don't
                                  alwasy have a washing safe dye used on them.

                                  for felting boots from wool roving go check outthe renaissance tailor site,
                                  she has a tutorial on making boots, making boots from wool yardage might
                                  entail sewing them as lether boots are.

                                  Kathws

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 12, 2006
                                    Hey, thanks for the tips! I have all this second hand
                                    as I'm a dyed in the wool Russian but I had planed to
                                    fill in the shallow spots in my wardrobe with leather,
                                    linen and wool this year! This will really help!
                                    'dok

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 12, 2006
                                      And if you aren't sure you want the effect that fulling will have on wool,
                                      try washing swatches of your wool first. Something like a 9 by 9 square
                                      should work fine, half that size might work fine also. I will be probably
                                      trying this with some tan coat weight wool that I had bought to make a wool
                                      mongol coat for my lord out of; he has since decided for him that will be
                                      too much so a chamois flannel coat is in the works. So now I am thinking I
                                      will end up using the coat wool to make coats for our 2 kids in the future.
                                      Since it is a coat weight and possibly was labeled dry clean (I've had it
                                      for 4 years or so) I will use some swatches to test for shrinkage and color
                                      loss in both hot, warm and cold water cycles; I'm planning for at least 3
                                      swatches.

                                      Kathws

                                      Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 8:39 AM