Greetings from a new member

  • LL Rice
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
      Lady Apollonia Voss, apprentice to Her Excellency Mistress Brianna Wynman
      (The Crafty Fox), member of the Black Dragon Mercenary Company and resident
      of the Shire of Owlsherste in the Kingdom of the East bids you all greetings
      and good health. IOW, "hi" from Apollonia. ;-)

      I'm, "here" as I am becoming quite drawn to early Russian clothing. I made
      my first hat a few weeks ago
      (http://userweb.suscom.net/~apolloniavoss/projects/russianhat.htm.)

      Honestly, I'm trying to find good documentation for 10th century Byzantine,
      Russian and Frankish clothing and the connections between the cultures and
      am having little luck. Earlier eras for Byzantine "daily life" goods, are
      easy to find but the 10th century is tough. I'm not finding ANYTHING
      related to Frankish daily life, but did find Sofya la Rus's work on Early
      Russian clothing, headwear etc.

      I'm at the beginning of the research and will hold questions until I've
      thoroughly rummaged the freesever site and the group's archives.

    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 30, 2006
        Sorry, but this is a persistent and serious misconception and it
        needs to be driven into oblivion without weenie-wording. I really
        don't mind if people want to decorate their SCA garb with fur edging
        but please let's not pretend that is how period garments were
        constructed. Without exception there are no 'patches' of fur and the
        garment in question and all the garments with fur visible anywhere
        are fully fur lined. Saying " did not show any fur more than a few
        inches past the openings" may be literally true because of how the
        garment was displayed but readers may misread your statement to mean
        that you saw that the fur ended a few inches past the edge, which
        you certainly did not.

        I have asked the curator several specific questions, but the answer
        to this one seems too obvious to call her about. Maybe if I have
        some other questions I'll also ask her if she ever saw deco-fur
        edging on an ottoman garment.

        While I allowed in an earlier post that maybe under some exceptional
        circumstances a tailor might do a fake, and even recognize that all
        fur colpacks are not fully fur lined which is sort of a fake, the
        idea that robes that the Sultan might wear to a battlefield would
        use this sort of flash trick is laughable.

        Please remember that pre-20th C. people who went out-of-doors were
        really no-kidding outside, with no hotels to bail to or even heated
        restrooms to go to. If it got cold it got cold. I absolutely reject
        any suggestion that these were all some sort of pajama suit and
        smoking jacket combo, that could be impractical and false-to-
        putative-function. I feel confident in suggesting that the sultan
        always wanted to be perceived as a military leader, not a faker, so
        beneath the pearls and gold you would always find a fully functional
        garment.

        -Rick

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Nelson Kemp" <lady.ianuk@...>
        The underside did not show

        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2006
          Anyone going? I will be there.

          --Sfandra Dmitrieva

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Patrick Levesque
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2006
            I'll be in the kitchen, taking care that you're all well fed (hopefully
            :-)))

            This will not be an Eastern European feast, however.

            Petru

            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2006
              That's a real mouthful......have you checked out:
              SCAbyzantine@yahoogroups.com

              Mordok from the MK, Moscovite Russian

              --- LL Rice <apolloniavoss@...> wrote:

              > Lady Apollonia Voss, apprentice to Her Excellency
              > Mistress Brianna Wynman
              > (The Crafty Fox), member of the Black Dragon
              > Mercenary Company and resident
              > of the Shire of Owlsherste in the Kingdom of the
              > East bids you all greetings
              > and good health. IOW, "hi" from Apollonia. ;-)
              >

              > I'm, "here" as I am becoming quite drawn to early
              > Russian clothing. I made
              > my first hat a few weeks ago

              (http://userweb.suscom.net/~apolloniavoss/projects/russianhat.htm.)

              > Honestly, I'm trying to find good documentation for
              > 10th century Byzantine,
              > Russian and Frankish clothing and the connections
              > between the cultures and
              > am having little luck. Earlier eras for Byzantine
              > "daily life" goods, are
              > easy to find but the 10th century is tough. I'm not
              > finding ANYTHING
              > related to Frankish daily life, but did find Sofya
              > la Rus's work on Early
              > Russian clothing, headwear etc.
              >

              > I'm at the beginning of the research and will hold
              > questions until I've
              > thoroughly rummaged the freesever site and the
              > group's archives.

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • analog4kid
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                Of course. I haven't missed an Eastern Crown since...well...let's
                just say it was a while ago :)

                Jan