Re: [sig] Coat patterns a good jumping off point?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25 11:41 AM
      You're refering to the Coat pattern yes? (Your links
      aren't working well - it's the parentheses.)

      It looks ok, from the vague and small image on the
      website. Honestly, I made my coat (and have an order
      to make another for a housemate) by using Predslava's
      Shirt pattern (also seen on Sofya La Rus's site), and
      just putting a slit down the center front. Just as
      easy, and the patterns are free. :-) In fact, ALL of
      my russian garb is based off the pattern on Sofya's
      site; i just vary fabric, length, embellishment, etc.
      But then, I'm early Kievan. YMMV, esp if you're doing
      a later period.

      I was actually thinking the large Embroidered Rushnyky
      For Icon would make a decent ubrus....
      --Sfandra

      --- songseeress <songseeress@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone!
      >
      > I was recently pointed to a nice Ukrainian supply
      > store online
      > (http://www.yevshan.com) which sells embroidery and
      > paterns. I was
      > looking particularly at Poltava 4
      > (http://www.yevshan.com/main.asp?
      > cid=506&pid=10295), and thinking they look awfully
      > close to period
      > stuff I need, circa 16th century.
      >
      > Just wanted some opinions on this!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Lynda Fjellman
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25 12:20 PM
        You know, I think it all has to do with where and when the patterning of
        the clothing went from strictly rectangular construction to the more
        "modern" style with rounded armscyes and curved sleevecaps. This tended
        to happen in the 1300's in western Europe, but did not happen till much
        later (if at all) in others.
        I went to a Turkish exhibit a couple years ago and the coats/caftans
        were definitely rectangular in construction (see Max Tilke for diagrams)
        I have general questions about whether "western construction" had taken
        over in many eastern lands. Poland was very western oriented, so maybe,
        I don't know about other areas.
        Has anyone done a survey on the time frames of when folks switched?

        One of the things I'm going to be looking into when we go to Poland next
        year.

        If you wanted to be "very traditional" I doubt you would go wrong with
        rectangular construction for the coat pattern rather than a modern
        pattern. After all, even in western Europe, each garment was cut
        specifically for the client and each tailor had their own patterns.
        Ilaria