Re: linguistic question

  • Vaclav von Pressburg
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
      Patricia Hefner wrote:
      . . .
      > Vesele Vianoce. A stastlivy Novy Rok (Slovak)

      Correct (except for missing vowel lengths and two hacheks).

      --
      Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
      vaclav@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
        <snip>

        >Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia

        (Rough phonetic pronunciation: ve-so-wyk shfee-ont bo-zhe-go na-ro-dze-nya) accent on the penultimate syllable

        Basic meaning: Merry Christmas(Merry Holiday of God's Birth). Add: i Dobrego Nowego Roku, for Good(or Happy) New Year.

        This is a blessing or wish for the receiver with the "I wish you" implied.
        The full phrase would be: Zycze sie Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia i Dobrego Nowego Roku. Or it could be shortened to: Wesolych Swiat(Happy Holidays.) (Of course there are diacritical marks that are difficult to reproduce on an english keyboard.)

        Wesolych Swiat, wszystcy,
        Landolf
      • Katheryne of Krings Keep
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 1999
          <snip>

          >Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia (Polish)

          It is ponounced:
          Veso-ich (Shv)(ia)nt Bo(zh)e(gh)o Naro(zz)en-ah

          Unfortunately I am a little hazy as to where the accents go but the
          phonetics are correct. You ponounce the letters in the brackets as one
          sound. IIRC my Grandmother told me they mean "Happy Christ's Birth"
        • MHoll@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 1999
            In a message dated 12/5/1999 6:12:37 PM Central Standard Time,
            katheryne_of_krings_keep@... writes:

            > Unfortunately I am a little hazy as to where the accents go but the
            > phonetics are correct.

            If by accents you mean stress, then it's on the penultimate syllable. I don't
            know much about Polish, but I do know this.

            Predslava Vydrina
            Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
            <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html">Russ
            ian History Trivia Page</A>
            (http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html)