Coat patterns a good jumping off point?

  • songseeress
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2006
      Hi everyone!

      I was recently pointed to a nice Ukrainian supply store online
      (http://www.yevshan.com) which sells embroidery and paterns. I was
      looking particularly at Poltava 4 (http://www.yevshan.com/main.asp?
      cid=506&pid=10295), and thinking they look awfully close to period
      stuff I need, circa 16th century.

      Just wanted some opinions on this!
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2006
        HI,
        I don't actually think they are very close to period.
        There are better ones. You can even you a lot of the
        ones in the Saxon transylvania book and others. I have
        downloaded three 1561 Italian and two 1550 french
        charted designs so you can see how universal the
        geometric ones are. I can find the same star
        everywhere! It is in the sig files under Baroness
        Anastasia
        Hopes this helps.
        regards,
        Anastasia

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2006
          You're refering to the Coat pattern yes? (Your links
          aren't working well - it's the parentheses.)

          It looks ok, from the vague and small image on the
          website. Honestly, I made my coat (and have an order
          to make another for a housemate) by using Predslava's
          Shirt pattern (also seen on Sofya La Rus's site), and
          just putting a slit down the center front. Just as
          easy, and the patterns are free. :-) In fact, ALL of
          my russian garb is based off the pattern on Sofya's
          site; i just vary fabric, length, embellishment, etc.
          But then, I'm early Kievan. YMMV, esp if you're doing
          a later period.

          I was actually thinking the large Embroidered Rushnyky
          For Icon would make a decent ubrus....
          --Sfandra

          --- songseeress <songseeress@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone!
          >
          > I was recently pointed to a nice Ukrainian supply
          > store online
          > (http://www.yevshan.com) which sells embroidery and
          > paterns. I was
          > looking particularly at Poltava 4
          > (http://www.yevshan.com/main.asp?
          > cid=506&pid=10295), and thinking they look awfully
          > close to period
          > stuff I need, circa 16th century.
          >
          > Just wanted some opinions on this!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Lynda Fjellman
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 25, 2006
            You know, I think it all has to do with where and when the patterning of
            the clothing went from strictly rectangular construction to the more
            "modern" style with rounded armscyes and curved sleevecaps. This tended
            to happen in the 1300's in western Europe, but did not happen till much
            later (if at all) in others.
            I went to a Turkish exhibit a couple years ago and the coats/caftans
            were definitely rectangular in construction (see Max Tilke for diagrams)
            I have general questions about whether "western construction" had taken
            over in many eastern lands. Poland was very western oriented, so maybe,
            I don't know about other areas.
            Has anyone done a survey on the time frames of when folks switched?

            One of the things I'm going to be looking into when we go to Poland next
            year.

            If you wanted to be "very traditional" I doubt you would go wrong with
            rectangular construction for the coat pattern rather than a modern
            pattern. After all, even in western Europe, each garment was cut
            specifically for the client and each tailor had their own patterns.
            Ilaria