Re: [sig] Ukranian readers?

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2006
      In a message dated 4/17/2006 7:23:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      orlirva@... writes:

      Some interesting pages from a chapter on 1600- mid 1600s costume are
      here..
      http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/costume_of_ukraine_kamincka.htm

      I can read cryillic well enough to make out some words here and there,
      but mostly I don't get anywhere fast. what I really want to confirm
      is that all of the womans costumes are claimed to be from the pre-mid-
      1600s period (as the chapter title implies). Some of these seem to be
      from a later period, so if they are from the mid 1600s, or even before
      1700, that would be very exciting given how little we have on Polish-
      Lithuanian Commonwealth woman's clothing (that was not just a copy of
      western styles). Are sources mentioned in the text? Any other tidbits
      from the text would be nice too.

      Other than the chapter title, I do not see any dates in the text.
      Unfortunately, I can't sit down and translate it all now -- a bit of a work crisis, as
      it always is for me... I have same or similar drawing in other sources, none
      of which mention actual sources for them. Neither do the scanned pages you
      posted. I'll save the files and try to translate next week. I can still read
      Ukrainian and translate just fine, it's the other way around that is a problem
      for me now.

      Liudmila

    • Kataryna Dragonweaver
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2006
        Hi,
        I'm interested what it says as well. These are the same black and
        white drawings as are in:

        History of Ukrainian costume : from the Scythian period to the late
        17th century
        Title: History of Ukrainian costume : from the Scythian period to the
        late 17th century / [art by Christina Senkiw ; line drawings by M.
        Hrokh and B. Tulin].
        Publication info: Melbourne : Bayda Books, 1986.
        Physical descrip: 62 p., [16] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
        Subject term: Costume--Ukraine
        Bibliography note: Bibliography : p. 61-62.
        Series: (Ukrainian Heritage Library.)
        Added author: Senkiw, Christina.
        Added author: Hrokh, M.
        Added author: Tulin, B.
        ISBN: 0908480164

        I'm curious how close the two books are.

        On another costuming note (for those into Russian) I just found
        Russka´i`a vyshivka i kruzhevo : sobranie Gosudarstvennogo
        istoricheskogo muze´i`a
        Corporate Author: Gosudarstvennyi istoricheskii muzei (Moscow, Russia)
        Title: Russka´i`a vyshivka i kruzhevo : sobranie Gosudarstvennogo
        istoricheskogo muze´i`a / L.V. Efimova, R.M. Belogorska´i`a.
        Publication info: Moskva : "Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo", 1982.
        Physical descrip: 269, [3] p. : chiefly ill. (some col.) ; 30 cm.
        Corporate subject: Gosudarstvennyi istoricheskii muzei (Moscow,
        Russia)--Catalogs.
        Subject term: Embroidery--Russia (Federation)--Moscow--Catalogs.
        Subject term: Lace and lace making--Russia (Federation)--Catalogs.
        Subject term: Lace and lace making--Russia
        (Federation)--Moscow--Catalogs.
        Subject term: Embroidery--Russia (Federation)--Catalogs.
        General Note: Title on p. preceding t.p.: Russian embroidery and lace.
        General Note: Summary and list of reproductions in English.
        Bibliography note: Bibliography: p. [271]
        Added author: Efimova, L. V. (Luiza Vladimirovna)
        Added author: Belogorska´i`a, R. M. (Rina Mikhailovna)
        Added title: Russian embroidery and lace.

        It has a number of interesting plates of period ?tapestries? that show
        pictures of people (mostly saints etc) it also has a 17century womens
        hat and a 17th century mans shirt.
        There are english translations of the information blurb on all the
        plates in the back of the book.

        Also if someone wants to translate (the text is Ukrainian) any of the
        information in these zip files for me. I'm looking for any sources
        mentioned, clarifications of the information in the pictures or if
        they mention the type of materials used in making the clothing.
        The zip files are from the book:

        Istori´i`a ukraïns'koho kost´i`uma
        Personal Author: Nikola´i`eva, T. O. (Tamara Oleksandrivna)
        Title: Istori´i`a ukraïns'koho kost´i`uma / Tamara Nikola´i`eva.
        Publication info: Kyïv : "Lybid'", 1996.
        Physical descrip: 171 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 21 cm.
        Subject term: Costume--Ukraine--History.
        Bibliography note: Includes bibliographical references (p. [167]-171).
        ISBN: 5325004743

        Thanks.
        -Kataryna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...> wrote:

        > Some interesting pages from a chapter on 1600- mid 1600s costume are
        > here..
        > http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/costume_of_ukraine_kamincka.htm
        >
        > I can read cryillic well enough to make out some words here and there,
        > but mostly I don't get anywhere fast. what I really want to confirm
        > is that all of the womans costumes are claimed to be from the pre-mid-
        > 1600s period (as the chapter title implies). Some of these seem to be
        > from a later period, so if they are from the mid 1600s, or even before
        > 1700, that would be very exciting given how little we have on Polish-
        > Lithuanian Commonwealth woman's clothing (that was not just a copy of
        > western styles). Are sources mentioned in the text? Any other tidbits
        > from the text would be nice too.
        >
        > P.s., these pages with text will be taken down next week.

      • Stephanie Ross