Re: linguistic question

  • Castalia
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
      >From: "Patricia Hefner" <patricia.hefner@...>
      >
      >I've just come back from my baronial meeting. They gave out the December
      >issue of the newsletter, and one of the things in the newsletter is a list
      >of "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" in various and sundry languages.
      >Some of these languages are Slavic! I want to see if anyone can tell me if
      >these are right, wrong, and maybe even how to pronounce the things! OK,
      here
      >goes....

      Forgive me, I'm new here. Which Baronial Meeting?

      Thank you,
      K.
    • Vaclav von Pressburg
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
        Patricia Hefner wrote:
        . . .
        > Vesele Vianoce. A stastlivy Novy Rok (Slovak)

        Correct (except for missing vowel lengths and two hacheks).

        --
        Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
        vaclav@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
          <snip>

          >Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia

          (Rough phonetic pronunciation: ve-so-wyk shfee-ont bo-zhe-go na-ro-dze-nya) accent on the penultimate syllable

          Basic meaning: Merry Christmas(Merry Holiday of God's Birth). Add: i Dobrego Nowego Roku, for Good(or Happy) New Year.

          This is a blessing or wish for the receiver with the "I wish you" implied.
          The full phrase would be: Zycze sie Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia i Dobrego Nowego Roku. Or it could be shortened to: Wesolych Swiat(Happy Holidays.) (Of course there are diacritical marks that are difficult to reproduce on an english keyboard.)

          Wesolych Swiat, wszystcy,
          Landolf
        • Katheryne of Krings Keep
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 1999
            <snip>

            >Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia (Polish)

            It is ponounced:
            Veso-ich (Shv)(ia)nt Bo(zh)e(gh)o Naro(zz)en-ah

            Unfortunately I am a little hazy as to where the accents go but the
            phonetics are correct. You ponounce the letters in the brackets as one
            sound. IIRC my Grandmother told me they mean "Happy Christ's Birth"
          • MHoll@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 1999
              In a message dated 12/5/1999 6:12:37 PM Central Standard Time,
              katheryne_of_krings_keep@... writes:

              > Unfortunately I am a little hazy as to where the accents go but the
              > phonetics are correct.

              If by accents you mean stress, then it's on the penultimate syllable. I don't
              know much about Polish, but I do know this.

              Predslava Vydrina
              Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
              <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html">Russ
              ian History Trivia Page</A>
              (http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html)