Re: Kvas revisited

  • Castalia
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 2, 1999
      Predschka exhorted:
      >Legendary is the word. I've only come across references to it in
      >non-scholarly places on the web. Unless I can find some really hard
      evidence
      >of its authenticity, I recomment *great*, *extreme*, *unlimited* caution.
      >There are enough tales and legends about Russians and Russian culture
      >circulating.

      Yes. I agree entirely from a mundane academic point of view. In persona,
      however, some Eastern Slavs would have known about this work, and may have
      some world view based upong it. One professor of Slavic History in
      Czech republic I deal with has comments about it, and it its likely that the
      book was written in a similar skew as the Mabinogian and some of Snorri
      Sturlison's misleading but well intentioned pieces of Creative writing.

      >To my knowledge, there are *no* *direct* data on Russian paganism, only
      >indirect information and speculation. I might have gone that way, but there
      >really is *not enough* info on pre-Christian religion in Russia to use in
      >persona play. And so much to learn and understand about Orthodox
      Christianity
      >in Russia.

      I will not comment on religion on a list because it is not appropriate to
      the SCA. I'd be happy to discuss this topic with anyone off-list.

      However, I do *love* the Kremlin. But I got iconed to death in Moscow and
      after a while couldn't take it anymore.

      >Predslava,
      >never proselytizing, just advocating the study of available, but little
      known
      >facts about Russia.

      The greatest point of contention I meet with Russians vs. Western sources,
      is that the Western Sources insist that Kiev and Novgorod were established
      as Swede principalities. All my Russian contacts (except a few druids
      <g>) disagree. Do you, Predslava (or others of course)have any useful
      resources or any insight into this issue?

      In service
      K.
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 5, 1999
        In a message dated 12/4/1999 10:37:56 AM Central Standard Time,
        jeffsmith2000@... writes:

        > [applause!!!] :)

        [Deep curtsey]

        Predslava.