Re: Cavemen prefer blondes Re: [sig] Digest Number 1943

  • Susan Koziel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      --- sig@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 06:54:13 -0800 (PST)
      > From: Tim Nalley <mordakus@...>
      > Subject: Re: Cavemen prefer blondes
      >
      > The interesting part about the human condition
      > in
      > the dating & mating ritual is the proponderance of
      > mixing, in this case dark complexion with light
      > (like
      > my parents), that you see in couples. You also see a
      > fair bit of brown/brown and blue/blond couples but
      > more of the mixed couples between them. A friend of
      > mine says that in his group its refered to as "down
      > with the swirl", so maybe this is the caucasian
      > couple
      > version?
      > I love human nature, especially the quirks!
      > 'dok

      The problem with this guys theory is that brown
      hair and brown eyes are generally dominant traits to
      blue/blonde. Mostly because Blue/Blonde is due to
      broken genes (as it were). There are many genes that
      lead to hair and eye color and thus many way's to end
      up with blonde hair (mutationally speaking). Hence the
      prevalance of it in our society. Also keep in mind
      founders effects (blondes kicked out of their tribe
      because they looked weird could have started a
      family/founder group of blondes). Alternately one
      theory proposes that red heads and blondes are less
      likey to be affected by rickets (vitamin D
      efficiency).
      This is a laymens genetics article about red hair
      genes
      http://www.derm.med.ed.ac.uk/06_teaching/redhairgenetics.pdf
      by Professor Jonathan Rees
      http://www.derm.med.ed.ac.uk/05_staff/rees.htm
      Frankly, from what I recall from one of my course
      the whole idea that blondes are any more or less
      attractiveness has not held up under research.
      Personally trying to extrapolate what peoples
      preferences were in the stone age based on genetics of
      one trait is silly science.
      -Kataryna
      BSc Honors Genetics.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2006
        > Personally trying to extrapolate what peoples
        > preferences were in the stone age based on genetics
        > of
        > one trait is silly science.

        LOL! So, you've never seen the movies "Barbarella"
        or Ringo Starr in "Caveman"....? Then there is "One
        Million Years B.C." and "Quest for Fire" to consider.
        Joking of course, but I couldn't resist a little
        humor there!!!!!
        Personally, I love mutants, especially redheads!
        'dok

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • MoxFool@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2006
          In a message dated 3/7/2006 9:31:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          mordakus@... writes:

          LOL! So, you've never seen the movies "Barbarella"
          or Ringo Starr in "Caveman"....? Then there is "One
          Million Years B.C." and "Quest for Fire" to consider.
          Joking of course, but I couldn't resist a little
          humor there!!!!!
          Personally, I love mutants, especially redheads!
          'dok>>

          I've seen ALL of these. Obviously, I need some sort of intervention. :P

          Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski, Kruki Jedzenia;
          Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, Shire of Talonval
          Squire to His Grace Sir Dag Thorgrimsson, Ward of THL Albyn Buckthorne,
          C.B.R.,
          My homepage: http://members.aol.com/moxfool/zygmunt.html
          May God give me a good sword and no reason to use it - Polish Proverb.