linguistic question

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
      I've just come back from my baronial meeting. They gave out the December
      issue of the newsletter, and one of the things in the newsletter is a list
      of "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" in various and sundry languages.
      Some of these languages are Slavic! I want to see if anyone can tell me if
      these are right, wrong, and maybe even how to pronounce the things! OK, here
      goes....

      Pozdervlyau s prazdnikom Rozhdestva is Novim Godom (Russian)
      Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia (Polish)
      Vesele Vianoce. A stastlivy Novy Rok (Slovak)

      here's the (supposedly) Romanian:
      Hristos s-a Nascut si Anul Non Fericit

      I was sort of shocked that they did this, considering that the barony is the
      Anglocentric Group From Hades.

      Isabelle

      patricia.hefner@...
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
        In a message dated 12/1/1999 11:45:09 PM Central Standard Time,
        patricia.hefner@... writes:

        > Pozdervlyau s prazdnikom Rozhdestva is Novim Godom (Russian)

        Close, but not quite...

        Should be:
        <Pozdravliaiu s prazdnikom Rozhdestva i s Novym Godom.>
        [pohz-drahv-LA-yoo s PRAHZD-nee-kohm rohzh-dehs-TVAH ee s NOH-vym GOH-dom]

        <ia> as one sound; after a consonant (here, <L>), it palatalizes the previous
        consonant. Here, try touching as much of your tongue as you can to your
        palate. (The American <L> uses just the tip of the tongue, like the "hard"
        (unpalatalized) Russian <L> in <Lozhka> -- "spoon").

        <zh> as "s" in "measure" (and not like my daughter's 3rd grade teacher does
        it, <meazure>!).

        <Y> -- I've discussed that one.

        Have fun twisting your tongue.

        Predslava,
        still working on adding sound to her pages (the clips are ready, it's the
        publishing that's troublesome)
      • Castalia
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
          >From: "Patricia Hefner" <patricia.hefner@...>
          >
          >I've just come back from my baronial meeting. They gave out the December
          >issue of the newsletter, and one of the things in the newsletter is a list
          >of "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" in various and sundry languages.
          >Some of these languages are Slavic! I want to see if anyone can tell me if
          >these are right, wrong, and maybe even how to pronounce the things! OK,
          here
          >goes....

          Forgive me, I'm new here. Which Baronial Meeting?

          Thank you,
          K.
        • Vaclav von Pressburg
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
            Patricia Hefner wrote:
            . . .
            > Vesele Vianoce. A stastlivy Novy Rok (Slovak)

            Correct (except for missing vowel lengths and two hacheks).

            --
            Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
            vaclav@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
              <snip>

              >Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia

              (Rough phonetic pronunciation: ve-so-wyk shfee-ont bo-zhe-go na-ro-dze-nya) accent on the penultimate syllable

              Basic meaning: Merry Christmas(Merry Holiday of God's Birth). Add: i Dobrego Nowego Roku, for Good(or Happy) New Year.

              This is a blessing or wish for the receiver with the "I wish you" implied.
              The full phrase would be: Zycze sie Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia i Dobrego Nowego Roku. Or it could be shortened to: Wesolych Swiat(Happy Holidays.) (Of course there are diacritical marks that are difficult to reproduce on an english keyboard.)

              Wesolych Swiat, wszystcy,
              Landolf
            • Katheryne of Krings Keep
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 1999
                <snip>

                >Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia (Polish)

                It is ponounced:
                Veso-ich (Shv)(ia)nt Bo(zh)e(gh)o Naro(zz)en-ah

                Unfortunately I am a little hazy as to where the accents go but the
                phonetics are correct. You ponounce the letters in the brackets as one
                sound. IIRC my Grandmother told me they mean "Happy Christ's Birth"
              • MHoll@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 1999
                  In a message dated 12/5/1999 6:12:37 PM Central Standard Time,
                  katheryne_of_krings_keep@... writes:

                  > Unfortunately I am a little hazy as to where the accents go but the
                  > phonetics are correct.

                  If by accents you mean stress, then it's on the penultimate syllable. I don't
                  know much about Polish, but I do know this.

                  Predslava Vydrina
                  Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
                  <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html">Russ
                  ian History Trivia Page</A>
                  (http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html)