Re: [sig] New pic

  • Kseniia Smolnianina
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
      Wow! Gorgeous! Congratulations - you look fabulous. It looks like
      you put a ton of work into it. I'd *love* to get my hands on some of
      those hat plates. You mentioned they are from your lamellar armor -
      where did you find them?

      --Kseniia

      On 3/2/06, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
      > OK, I finally got a new image of me up in my folder
      > under Files. It's my latest garb, created for the
      > Fashion Show & Contest at the event Market Day At
      > Birka in the Barony of Stonemarche (east kingdom) last
      > month.
      >
      > I was a finalist. Didn't win. Won last year, and I
      > think one of the judges remembered me, so in the
      > spirit of egalitarianism, the win went to a young
      > women in fabulous 12thC french garb. (I agreed - her
      > fully fur-lined cotehardie was *stunning*)
      >
      > Anyway, the garb was all done in *alas* acetate, but
      > was selected for the patterns & colors. All patterns
      > matched each other, just different color combinations.
      > Hand pearled on garb and hat. Veil is silk. Hat
      > plates on the brim were taken from my old lamellar
      > armor (and the fighters in the house had much fun w/
      > that "Sfandra, my helm's strap broke! Can I borrow
      > your hat??")
      >
      > The entire outfit was based off images from the
      > "Ukrainian Chronicle Of Clothing" by Zinaida Vasina.
      > I'll see if I can get my scanner to work, and get the
      > images from the book up too.
      >
      > --Sfandra Dmitrieva

      **********************************
      Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
      Barony of Three Mountains
      Kingdom of An Tir
      http://kseniia_antir.livejournal.com
      *Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes*
    • Stephanie Ross
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        Wow, you look truly lovely!! I like it alot. What is the white underneath the over tunic? Got any pics from last year? I love to look at other's garb. Hope you get your scanner working! Where did you find that book, anyway?

        Nadya

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          > I'd *love* to get my hands on some of
          > those hat plates. You mentioned they are from your
          > lamellar armor -
          > where did you find them?
          >
          > --Kseniia

          They were a bulk order from a brassworking company. I
          have no idea what they were supposed to be. But I had
          a bunch (like around 300), and might be able to get
          more. It took 15 to get around the hat, and I'm going
          to work more into a gown soon. If you want some,
          email me privately -- I'd be happy to ship like 2
          dozen to you. They have holes punched in them, in a
          basic 7 hole lamellar pattern (two top, two each side,
          one on the bottom), and there's a subtle floral
          pattern engraved on them. About 3 inches tall, and
          two inches wide, rounded top edge. We used a drill
          press to make the holes, but if you have a solid metal
          punch and good hand strength, you should be fine.
          Plus, you'd be making a lot less, assuming I can get
          the source for you. They are HEAVY. That hat weighs
          2.5 lbs.

          I might use more to make a kika/circlet too. Lord
          knows I have enough....

          FWIW, the armor was a b**ch to fight in. Heavy,
          rhino-hiding, and sawed through every cord I used.
          Had to relace after every fighting day. Finally
          replaced it w/ set of plastic plates from Noble
          Plastics.

          --Sfandra

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
            > Wow, you look truly lovely!! I like it alot. What is
            > the white underneath the over tunic? Got any pics
            > from last year? I love to look at other's garb. Hope
            > you get your scanner working! Where did you find
            > that book, anyway?
            >
            > Nadya

            All four fabrics are acetate - white, red,gold-on-red,
            gold-on-green - with identical patterns. I can get
            the outfit from last year up this weekend.

            The book was mentioned here by Cesar last year. I
            spoke to him, and he put me in touch w/ a
            recreationist in Kiev who helped me acquire the book.
            Cesar had posted a number of scans. Unfortunately,
            the book is so big, I'l have to rearrange my office
            this weekend to get the book into the scanner!

            --Sfandra

            http://mail.yahoo.com