RE : [sig] Other underthings

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 3:28 PM
      None of my readings in _early Russian_ garb have mentioned anything worn by Russian women under the rubakha/corochitsa.  No trousers.  No breast band.  Nothing.

      Even the website I just translated leaves them out for women, while including under-trousers for the men.

      There are plenty of people that believe that medieval Western European women went without such items for much of our period.  A recent on-line search I did came up with some interesting discussions on the subject.

      http://www.legiodraconis.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2002
      http://www.mum.org/whatwore.htm (This one might be a bit much for the gentlemen.)

      Is it possible that early Russian women wore garments resembling our modern expectations of underwear, and no evidence survived?  Well, yes.  And it's beastly hard to prove a negative.  But I'm doubtful, especially since in most of the world, through most of human history, such things were not used.

      So maybe there should be a new game to replace the old "What does the Scotsman wear under his kilt?"  ;)

      As far as engineering a rubakha to provide support, try just getting rid of the ease around the chest.  Enough snugness will make things stay put, although you will end up the opposite of the buxom beer maid.

      Sofya

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 8:00 PM
        I just tried to go to the pages...and neither of them can be found. :(

        Anushka
      • Tom Cerul
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 2:25 PM

          On 3/1/06, aleannain@... <aleannain@...> wrote:
          > I just tried to go to the pages...and neither of them can be found. :(
          >
          > Anushka
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2 2:42 PM
            Anushka,

            If you're refering to the two pages about underwear that I tried to link a couple of days ago, the URLs got garbled by the email servers.  Let me try again.

            One was Aoife Links - Medieval Underwear - Mentioning unmentionables (so you can google for it if the below URL gets messed up again.)

            http://www.legiodraconis.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2002

            The other was "What did women use for menstruation in Europe and America from 1700-1900 and probably earlier?" at the Museum of Menstruation and Women's Health www.mum.org

            http://www.mum.org/whatwore.htm

            *crosses fingers*