Re: [sig] what kind of silk?

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
      Unfortunatley we only have the fragments or bits
      leftover from graves ect. to look at, they are
      defiantley not crisp. but that doesn't mean they
      weren't when they were made. However, I suspect they
      were not as stiff as ours because I have friends who
      have tried weaving different types of silk and they
      were definately not stiff. Also I believe chemicals
      such as formaldhyde are used in the fabrics today,
      that definatley makes them more stiff to begin with.

      I believe the SCA mostly accepts whatever type of silk
      we can get, Dupioni comes in a myriad of colors and
      can be gotten as cheaply as 5.00 a yard. The same with
      noil.If someone is at least attempting to do silk I
      applaud them and just make sure they understand what
      they are using and why.

      I really hate the answer "I liked it, it looks
      pretty". I prefer to know that someone actually did a
      bit of research first and chose the silk based on the
      closest thing they could find that they could afford.

      When I am entereing a contest I save my money and I
      buy the best and closest I can find. When I am just
      making a new outfit for fun, I get what I can afford,
      still trying to get a period feel for the garment.
      regards,
      Anastasia