Re: [sig] underthings and moldavian garb2

  • jennifer knox
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      they are both in the photo section

      anya

      "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        OK, I finally got a new image of me up in my folder
        under Files. It's my latest garb, created for the
        Fashion Show & Contest at the event Market Day At
        Birka in the Barony of Stonemarche (east kingdom) last
        month.

        I was a finalist. Didn't win. Won last year, and I
        think one of the judges remembered me, so in the
        spirit of egalitarianism, the win went to a young
        women in fabulous 12thC french garb. (I agreed - her
        fully fur-lined cotehardie was *stunning*)

        Anyway, the garb was all done in *alas* acetate, but
        was selected for the patterns & colors. All patterns
        matched each other, just different color combinations.
        Hand pearled on garb and hat. Veil is silk. Hat
        plates on the brim were taken from my old lamellar
        armor (and the fighters in the house had much fun w/
        that "Sfandra, my helm's strap broke! Can I borrow
        your hat??")

        The entire outfit was based off images from the
        "Ukrainian Chronicle Of Clothing" by Zinaida Vasina.
        I'll see if I can get my scanner to work, and get the
        images from the book up too.

        --Sfandra Dmitrieva

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Kseniia Smolnianina
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          Wow! Gorgeous! Congratulations - you look fabulous. It looks like
          you put a ton of work into it. I'd *love* to get my hands on some of
          those hat plates. You mentioned they are from your lamellar armor -
          where did you find them?

          --Kseniia

          On 3/2/06, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
          > OK, I finally got a new image of me up in my folder
          > under Files. It's my latest garb, created for the
          > Fashion Show & Contest at the event Market Day At
          > Birka in the Barony of Stonemarche (east kingdom) last
          > month.
          >
          > I was a finalist. Didn't win. Won last year, and I
          > think one of the judges remembered me, so in the
          > spirit of egalitarianism, the win went to a young
          > women in fabulous 12thC french garb. (I agreed - her
          > fully fur-lined cotehardie was *stunning*)
          >
          > Anyway, the garb was all done in *alas* acetate, but
          > was selected for the patterns & colors. All patterns
          > matched each other, just different color combinations.
          > Hand pearled on garb and hat. Veil is silk. Hat
          > plates on the brim were taken from my old lamellar
          > armor (and the fighters in the house had much fun w/
          > that "Sfandra, my helm's strap broke! Can I borrow
          > your hat??")
          >
          > The entire outfit was based off images from the
          > "Ukrainian Chronicle Of Clothing" by Zinaida Vasina.
          > I'll see if I can get my scanner to work, and get the
          > images from the book up too.
          >
          > --Sfandra Dmitrieva

          **********************************
          Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
          Barony of Three Mountains
          Kingdom of An Tir
          http://kseniia_antir.livejournal.com
          *Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes*
        • Stephanie Ross
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
            Wow, you look truly lovely!! I like it alot. What is the white underneath the over tunic? Got any pics from last year? I love to look at other's garb. Hope you get your scanner working! Where did you find that book, anyway?

            Nadya

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
              > I'd *love* to get my hands on some of
              > those hat plates. You mentioned they are from your
              > lamellar armor -
              > where did you find them?
              >
              > --Kseniia

              They were a bulk order from a brassworking company. I
              have no idea what they were supposed to be. But I had
              a bunch (like around 300), and might be able to get
              more. It took 15 to get around the hat, and I'm going
              to work more into a gown soon. If you want some,
              email me privately -- I'd be happy to ship like 2
              dozen to you. They have holes punched in them, in a
              basic 7 hole lamellar pattern (two top, two each side,
              one on the bottom), and there's a subtle floral
              pattern engraved on them. About 3 inches tall, and
              two inches wide, rounded top edge. We used a drill
              press to make the holes, but if you have a solid metal
              punch and good hand strength, you should be fine.
              Plus, you'd be making a lot less, assuming I can get
              the source for you. They are HEAVY. That hat weighs
              2.5 lbs.

              I might use more to make a kika/circlet too. Lord
              knows I have enough....

              FWIW, the armor was a b**ch to fight in. Heavy,
              rhino-hiding, and sawed through every cord I used.
              Had to relace after every fighting day. Finally
              replaced it w/ set of plastic plates from Noble
              Plastics.

              --Sfandra

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                > Wow, you look truly lovely!! I like it alot. What is
                > the white underneath the over tunic? Got any pics
                > from last year? I love to look at other's garb. Hope
                > you get your scanner working! Where did you find
                > that book, anyway?
                >
                > Nadya

                All four fabrics are acetate - white, red,gold-on-red,
                gold-on-green - with identical patterns. I can get
                the outfit from last year up this weekend.

                The book was mentioned here by Cesar last year. I
                spoke to him, and he put me in touch w/ a
                recreationist in Kiev who helped me acquire the book.
                Cesar had posted a number of scans. Unfortunately,
                the book is so big, I'l have to rearrange my office
                this weekend to get the book into the scanner!

                --Sfandra

                http://mail.yahoo.com