Re: [sig] what kind of silk?

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
      I'm still of the opinion that the period silk would not have been as
      stiff/brittle as dupioni. I hate working with it and much prefer the ease
      that shantung has...it is just as lustrious depending on the manufacturer
      after washing, is easy to sew and I find it doesn't wear out as quick as
      dupioni. Plus I find that the shantung doesn't cling so bad to the skin in
      warm climates (I live in AZ).

      Ianuk
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
        Unfortunatley we only have the fragments or bits
        leftover from graves ect. to look at, they are
        defiantley not crisp. but that doesn't mean they
        weren't when they were made. However, I suspect they
        were not as stiff as ours because I have friends who
        have tried weaving different types of silk and they
        were definately not stiff. Also I believe chemicals
        such as formaldhyde are used in the fabrics today,
        that definatley makes them more stiff to begin with.

        I believe the SCA mostly accepts whatever type of silk
        we can get, Dupioni comes in a myriad of colors and
        can be gotten as cheaply as 5.00 a yard. The same with
        noil.If someone is at least attempting to do silk I
        applaud them and just make sure they understand what
        they are using and why.

        I really hate the answer "I liked it, it looks
        pretty". I prefer to know that someone actually did a
        bit of research first and chose the silk based on the
        closest thing they could find that they could afford.

        When I am entereing a contest I save my money and I
        buy the best and closest I can find. When I am just
        making a new outfit for fun, I get what I can afford,
        still trying to get a period feel for the garment.
        regards,
        Anastasia