Re: [sig] what kind of silk?

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
      I use a lot of silk shantung which has the flow of nice silk and the
      durability of the satins. It comes in a huge range of colors and you
      can get it on sale for as low as $4.98 a yard sometimes. It is not a
      "stiff" silk like the dupioni and it washes and wears very nicely.

      I usually get most of my silk at www.denverfabrics.com, they will send
      you out a newsletter for when things go on sale. I also just luv their
      wools as well.

      Ianuk
    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
        I'm still of the opinion that the period silk would not have been as
        stiff/brittle as dupioni. I hate working with it and much prefer the ease
        that shantung has...it is just as lustrious depending on the manufacturer
        after washing, is easy to sew and I find it doesn't wear out as quick as
        dupioni. Plus I find that the shantung doesn't cling so bad to the skin in
        warm climates (I live in AZ).

        Ianuk
      • Marilee Humason
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
          Unfortunatley we only have the fragments or bits
          leftover from graves ect. to look at, they are
          defiantley not crisp. but that doesn't mean they
          weren't when they were made. However, I suspect they
          were not as stiff as ours because I have friends who
          have tried weaving different types of silk and they
          were definately not stiff. Also I believe chemicals
          such as formaldhyde are used in the fabrics today,
          that definatley makes them more stiff to begin with.

          I believe the SCA mostly accepts whatever type of silk
          we can get, Dupioni comes in a myriad of colors and
          can be gotten as cheaply as 5.00 a yard. The same with
          noil.If someone is at least attempting to do silk I
          applaud them and just make sure they understand what
          they are using and why.

          I really hate the answer "I liked it, it looks
          pretty". I prefer to know that someone actually did a
          bit of research first and chose the silk based on the
          closest thing they could find that they could afford.

          When I am entereing a contest I save my money and I
          buy the best and closest I can find. When I am just
          making a new outfit for fun, I get what I can afford,
          still trying to get a period feel for the garment.
          regards,
          Anastasia