Re: [sig] what kind of silk?

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
      I use a lot of silk shantung which has the flow of nice silk and the
      durability of the satins. It comes in a huge range of colors and you
      can get it on sale for as low as $4.98 a yard sometimes. It is not a
      "stiff" silk like the dupioni and it washes and wears very nicely.

      I usually get most of my silk at www.denverfabrics.com, they will send
      you out a newsletter for when things go on sale. I also just luv their
      wools as well.

      Ianuk
    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
        I'm still of the opinion that the period silk would not have been as
        stiff/brittle as dupioni. I hate working with it and much prefer the ease
        that shantung has...it is just as lustrious depending on the manufacturer
        after washing, is easy to sew and I find it doesn't wear out as quick as
        dupioni. Plus I find that the shantung doesn't cling so bad to the skin in
        warm climates (I live in AZ).

        Ianuk
      • Ronald Roberts
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28, 2006
          " but it is not cheap. And I have people who
          complain about me using
          the expensive 100% linen."

          i dont know who you are hanging out with man
          but if you have the means and the money always do it all the way
          i am poor so i find myself using a lot of spectator linens and linen blends
          and with linen and silk in many situations you get what you pay for
          the cheap ones are usually loose weaves with poor fibers
          so dont be afraid to splurge
          ask for a sample from any company you buy from so you dont waste money
          many reputable companies will provide a sample for the price of shipping or
          a little more

          as for what silk to use dupioni or raw silk are both acceptable
          the more period silks cost a fortune, sadly
          have fun
          Zhugmun' Broghammer (zippy)

        • Marilee Humason
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2006
            Unfortunatley we only have the fragments or bits
            leftover from graves ect. to look at, they are
            defiantley not crisp. but that doesn't mean they
            weren't when they were made. However, I suspect they
            were not as stiff as ours because I have friends who
            have tried weaving different types of silk and they
            were definately not stiff. Also I believe chemicals
            such as formaldhyde are used in the fabrics today,
            that definatley makes them more stiff to begin with.

            I believe the SCA mostly accepts whatever type of silk
            we can get, Dupioni comes in a myriad of colors and
            can be gotten as cheaply as 5.00 a yard. The same with
            noil.If someone is at least attempting to do silk I
            applaud them and just make sure they understand what
            they are using and why.

            I really hate the answer "I liked it, it looks
            pretty". I prefer to know that someone actually did a
            bit of research first and chose the silk based on the
            closest thing they could find that they could afford.

            When I am entereing a contest I save my money and I
            buy the best and closest I can find. When I am just
            making a new outfit for fun, I get what I can afford,
            still trying to get a period feel for the garment.
            regards,
            Anastasia