RE: RE : [sig] Sofya, Underthings site proposal

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
      WELL DONE SOFYA!!! Thank you again. I can't wait for the female webpage!

      Nadya

      Well, my "watch" today was rewarded with a thick package from Mordak!

      For those of you who have been waiting so patiently:

      A Merchant of 15th Century Novgorod
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanMan.html

      The html code is slightly off in a couple of places, but I'm too tired to fix it.  Please let me know if you find any serious problems.

      I plan to have the article on the Merchant's Wife finished tomorrow.

      In Service,
      Sofya la Rus

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        OK, so we've established the bottom half.

        Warning for Gentlemen: Discussion of female-specifics
        ahead!

        For ladies, what about the top half? Roman garments
        included a breast band ('strophium' IIRC or something
        like that?), basically just 'strapping down the
        girls'. ;) I have no idea if this carried over to the
        Byzantine empire, or if there were middle eastern
        influences to consider. Subsequent time periods in
        western europe have a certain amount of support built
        in; there are a number of resources for the
        self-supporting cote-simple. I suppose theoretically,
        the first layer sorochka or rubakha could be
        constructed the same way as a supporting cote-simple,
        but the necessary tailoring strikes me as a trifle
        sophisticated compared to other early period Rus'
        garments. I'm rather inclined to think the Rus' used
        nothing at all, or a roman style breast band.

        Comments? Ideas? Perhaps there's a middle-eastern
        item I'm missing?

        --Sfandra

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          Wait no more.  :)

          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanWoman.html

          Sofya

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
            Excellent work on BOTH sites, Sofya.
            Mishka

            On 3/1/06, L.M. Kies <lkies@...> wrote:
            > Wait no more.  :)
            >
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanWoman.html
            >
            > Sofya
          • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
              > So, maybe underwear in period really is old pants
              > and old shirts, cut shorter and recycled for more use
              > and a good periodic boiling?

              That's where we get into the question of fabric choice. Most of the
              time, we seem to see wool or other animal fabric as the outerwear, and
              linen or other bast fibers as the innerwear. This is assumed to be
              because the bast fibers wash better and dry more quickly; putting them
              next to the skin and washing them on a regular basis seems to make
              sense. Bast fibers also don't take dye as well as animal fibers, which
              is a disadvantage for outer clothing.

              Still, if the rumor that multiple underdresses were used is true, one
              could layer the better ones over (or under) the older, more worn out
              things. And after all, t-shirts were originally underclothes, not
              outerwear. :)

              "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
              imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
              -- Harry S. Truman