RE: RE : [sig] Sofya, Underthings site proposal

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
      WELL DONE SOFYA!!! Thank you again. I can't wait for the female webpage!

      Nadya

      Well, my "watch" today was rewarded with a thick package from Mordak!

      For those of you who have been waiting so patiently:

      A Merchant of 15th Century Novgorod
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanMan.html

      The html code is slightly off in a couple of places, but I'm too tired to fix it.  Please let me know if you find any serious problems.

      I plan to have the article on the Merchant's Wife finished tomorrow.

      In Service,
      Sofya la Rus

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        Right.
        Sofya, you rock. This is EXACTLY the images I was
        thinking of when I questioned 'underthings'.

        Now, would a logical assumption be that woman wore the
        same sort of underthings as men?

        --Sfandra

        --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
        > A Merchant of 15th Century Novgorod

        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanMan.html

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • jennifer knox
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          At least in the 10th century they did, that book i mentioned earlier ('von china nach byzanz') has pictures of pants 'belonging either to women or men'. I cant imagine that women were wearing them over their dresses :-). can i send attachments over this list or would i have to send it to a private email address?
          and that web page *does* rock!
          anya

          --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
          > A Merchant of 15th Century Novgorod

          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanMan.html

          ---------------------------------

          "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

        • Kseniia Smolnianina
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
            Post them to the SIG yahoogroup! Please? :)

            --Kseniia

            On 3/1/06, jennifer knox <jeniferknox@...> wrote:
            > At least in the 10th century they did, that book i mentioned earlier ('von china nach byzanz') has pictures of pants 'belonging either to women or men'. I cant imagine that women were wearing them over their dresses :-). can i send attachments over this list or would i have to send it to a private email address?
            > and that web page *does* rock!
            > anya
            >
            > Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
            >
            > Now, would a logical assumption be that woman wore the
            > same sort of underthings as men?
            >
            > --Sfandra
            >

            > --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
            > > A Merchant of 15th Century Novgorod
            > >
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanMan.html

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

            **********************************
            Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
            Barony of Three Mountains
            Kingdom of An Tir
            http://kseniia_antir.livejournal.com
            *Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes*
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
              OK, so we've established the bottom half.

              Warning for Gentlemen: Discussion of female-specifics
              ahead!

              For ladies, what about the top half? Roman garments
              included a breast band ('strophium' IIRC or something
              like that?), basically just 'strapping down the
              girls'. ;) I have no idea if this carried over to the
              Byzantine empire, or if there were middle eastern
              influences to consider. Subsequent time periods in
              western europe have a certain amount of support built
              in; there are a number of resources for the
              self-supporting cote-simple. I suppose theoretically,
              the first layer sorochka or rubakha could be
              constructed the same way as a supporting cote-simple,
              but the necessary tailoring strikes me as a trifle
              sophisticated compared to other early period Rus'
              garments. I'm rather inclined to think the Rus' used
              nothing at all, or a roman style breast band.

              Comments? Ideas? Perhaps there's a middle-eastern
              item I'm missing?

              --Sfandra

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                Wait no more.  :)

                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanWoman.html

                Sofya

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Excellent work on BOTH sites, Sofya.
                  Mishka

                  On 3/1/06, L.M. Kies <lkies@...> wrote:
                  > Wait no more.  :)
                  >
                  > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PartizanWoman.html
                  >
                  > Sofya
                • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                    > So, maybe underwear in period really is old pants
                    > and old shirts, cut shorter and recycled for more use
                    > and a good periodic boiling?

                    That's where we get into the question of fabric choice. Most of the
                    time, we seem to see wool or other animal fabric as the outerwear, and
                    linen or other bast fibers as the innerwear. This is assumed to be
                    because the bast fibers wash better and dry more quickly; putting them
                    next to the skin and washing them on a regular basis seems to make
                    sense. Bast fibers also don't take dye as well as animal fibers, which
                    is a disadvantage for outer clothing.

                    Still, if the rumor that multiple underdresses were used is true, one
                    could layer the better ones over (or under) the older, more worn out
                    things. And after all, t-shirts were originally underclothes, not
                    outerwear. :)

                    "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
                    imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
                    -- Harry S. Truman