Re: RE : Re: [sig] A quick question of transliteration from cyrllic

  • gotart04
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17 10:42 AM
      Hi. i ma Chris, I am new to this group. i can tell you that I am pretty sure that you are indeed NOT translating Cyrillic.
      That is Russian you are doing I believe. I know that the first letter which you have boxed off is a lower case "b", which is used in Russian, also I recognize the 'l" which looks like a lowercase "r" in cursive...
      I have been working on trasnlating some Russian Znaki meanings so this caught my eye. I am by no means an expert but perhaps I have been of some help.
      Thanks,
      Chris gotart04
    • Charles Richter
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17 11:06 AM
        This is actually much more simple than it originally seemed. You're
        just dealing with italics, not ancient orthography. The highlighted
        letters, from left to right, are the italic forms of 'v' 'g' 'short i'
        and 'd'.

        Hope that helps.

        --Charles Richter
      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17 12:56 PM
          A picture is worth a thousand words...  So, here's what I think you've got:

          The first letter is "v", which in Cyrillic looks like our lower case "b", here in a cursive form.

          The second letter is "g", again in a cursive type font.

          The third letter is "i kratkoye", again in a cursive font, transliterated as "i", or "j" or "y" depending on the transliteration system (Library of Congress, International Phonetic, or Revised English, respectively).

          The fourth letter is "d".

          I hope this helps.
          Sofya