RE : [sig] Underthings

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2006
      I have never seen any information about garments to be worn under the rubakha/sorochka (or under the trousers for the men) in period Rus.

      Upper class Rus wore at least a couple rubakhas/trousers at a time, so the inner linen garment could function as underwear.

      If you could post the URL of the russian website that seemed to be talking about "braies", those of us who know some Russian could take a look at the references for you.  I suspect the "braies" were just the usual men's trousers.

      Given the debates about period undergarments in western Europe, I'm not optimistic about getting any good answers about Rus, since documentation is even more scanty.  I don't know about the rest of Eastern Europe, of course.

      My personal belief is that nothing was worn under the rubakha/sorochka, but I have small "tracts of land", so my belief has never caused any inconvenience.  Your  mileage will vary.

      Sofya la Rus
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2006
        --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
        > If you could post the URL of the russian website
        > that seemed to be talking about "braies", those of
        > us who know some Russian could take a look at the
        > references for you.  I suspect the "braies"
        > were just the usual men's trousers.

        I'm searching for it. The page was in either russian
        or ukrainian, and had a series of images of a
        gentleman, showing layer by layer his outfit. I
        believe it started with naught but smallclothes and
        worked up to fully clothed.

        Still looking. I could have sworn the link came
        through this list.
        --Sfandra D

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2006
          I have the hard copy at home but will be away this
          weekend. Want a copy if its MIA on the web?
          'dok

          --- Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

          > --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
          > > If you could post the URL of the russian website
          > > that seemed to be talking about "braies", those of
          > > us who know some Russian could take a look at the
          > > references for you.  I suspect the "braies"
          > > were just the usual men's trousers.
          >
          > I'm searching for it. The page was in either
          > russian
          > or ukrainian, and had a series of images of a
          > gentleman, showing layer by layer his outfit. I
          > believe it started with naught but smallclothes and
          > worked up to fully clothed.
          >
          > Still looking. I could have sworn the link came
          > through this list.
          > --Sfandra D
          >

          > ******************
          > Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
          > Kingdom of the East
          > protection around
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Stephanie Ross
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2006
            I know it, but the link for the costumes is broken at the website. I have it partially translated into English through an online translation program. I could email it to you as an attachment if you'd like. I can't find the link in my bookmarks either though. The male wears a shirt, and a pair of linen shovary. Over this he wears, well, leggings, for lack of a better term, that are literally just the legs, there is no crotch, that are attached to the waistband of the linen shovary by a cord passed through one edge like a garter and tied.

            Nadya

            [Clip your posts]
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2006
              www.sura.ru/partizan/NovgXV_m

              --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

              > I have the hard copy at home but will be away this
              > weekend. Want a copy if its MIA on the web?
              > 'dok
              >
              > --- Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
              > > > If you could post the URL of the russian website
              > > > that seemed to be talking about "braies", those
              > of
              > > > us who know some Russian could take a look at
              > the
              > > > references for you.  I suspect the "braies"
              > > > were just the usual men's trousers.
              > >
              > > I'm searching for it. The page was in either
              > > russian
              > > or ukrainian, and had a series of images of a
              > > gentleman, showing layer by layer his outfit. I
              > > believe it started with naught but smallclothes
              > and
              > > worked up to fully clothed.
              > >
              > > Still looking. I could have sworn the link came
              > > through this list.
              > > --Sfandra D
              > >

              > > ******************
              > > Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
              > > Kingdom of the East
              > > protection around
              > > http://mail.yahoo.com

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11, 2006
                Greetings!

                > www.sura.ru/partizan/NovgXV_m

                the page is unavailable. The main page shows up, but the buttons do not work.
                Their e-mail (not sure they speak English) partizan@.... I wrote them about butons not working, but who knows when they will respond.

                If there's trouble with translating, redirect the letter/text that will show up, to me. I am desperately short of time but will help if emergency happens.

                Bye,
                Alex.