ferezia

  • Magdalena Gdanska
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
      Hi Katheryne. I'm Magdalena. We have something in common. I love
      everything Polish too. Greetings Pan Zygmunt.

      Katherylne, I'm curious. What is a ferezia (sp)? You can email off
      list if you like.

      YIS
      Magdalena
    • Donngal...Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
        I think its spelled Frezia, if your talking about a type of Garment. If thats the case its a coat with mid arm sleeves that are slit and have braiding. The front of the coat also has the typical braiding as well.

        Donngal

        Magdalena Gdanska <nunother56@...> wrote:
        Hi Katheryne. I'm Magdalena. We have something in common. I love
        everything Polish too. Greetings Pan Zygmunt.

        Katherylne, I'm curious. What is a ferezia (sp)? You can email off
        list if you like.

        YIS
        Magdalena

        Society for creative anachronism Medieval costume Medieval knights Slavic

        ---------------------------------

      • ayub mohd
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
          hi
          no matter ,no content ?
          ayyub

          Magdalena Gdanska <nunother56@...> wrote: Hi Katheryne. I'm Magdalena. We have something in common. I love

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
            In a message dated 1/27/2006 6:12:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            nunother56@... writes:

            Hi Katheryne. I'm Magdalena. We have something in common. I love
            everything Polish too. Greetings Pan Zygmunt.>>

            Well met and greetings!

            <<Katherylne, I'm curious. What is a ferezia (sp)? You can email off
            list if you like.

            YIS
            Magdalena>>

            A ferezia is a type of overcoat. Unlike the kontusz, it wasn't fitted, and
            seems to have been a more traidtional 'rectangle, gusset and gore' garment.

            This picture - _http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/Costume/qferezja.jpg_
            (http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/Costume/qferezja.jpg)

            - is reproduced in Maria Gutkowska-Rychlewska, Historia Ubirow (The History
            of Costume), Wroclaw-Warsaw-Krakow, 1968.

            The caption (which I haven't yet fully translated) clearly indicates the
            overcoat worn by the man as a ferezia.

            Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski, Kruki Jedzenia;
            Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, Shire of Talonval
            Ward of THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.,
            My homepage: http://members.aol.com/moxfool/zygmunt.html
            Come to the dark side - we have cookies!

          • MoxFool@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
              Yup, that's the one, Sir Donngal.....dratted translation problem! :D The one I am making is based off a combo of my previously mentioned link, a drawing deom one of the Czarnakiego/Katski members, and the Sgt. in WF&S (you can see it nicely in the book & movie, in the scene where Bohun is brought in as a captive at the end of the movie. The sgt's is grey w/ red zupan underneath).

              I am going to try it un-tailored, but I may take it in a very slight bit (1") at the waist for some shape.

              Zygmunt

              I think its spelled Frezia, if your talking about a type of Garment. If thats
              the case its a coat with mid arm sleeves that are slit and have braiding. The
              front of the coat also has the typical braiding as well.

              Donngal

              Magdalena Gdanska <nunother56@...> wrote:
              Hi Katheryne. I'm Magdalena. We have something in common. I love
              everything Polish too. Greetings Pan Zygmunt.

              Katherylne, I'm curious. What is a ferezia (sp)? You can email off
              list if you like.

              YIS
              Magdalena

              Society for creative anachronism Medieval costume Medieval knights
              Slavic

              ---------------------------------

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Kass McGann
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
                Hi Tom,

                Turnau spells is "ferezja" and she calls it "a smaller coat worn over
                another dress". In other of her works she describes it as "similar
                to the delia and even closer to some variants of the Hungarian
                mente. It was loose or slightly fitted. A low collar differentiated
                if from the Russian ferezeya. Originally it was used like the delia
                but in the 17thc it became a decorative coat worn over the zupan. In
                the second half of the 17thc it was replaced by the fanciest version
                of the kontusz." I don't perceive a whole lot of difference between
                this and the Delia except that it is shorter.

                By the way, thanks for the plug!

                Kass
                Reconstructing History Patterns
                http://reconstructinghistory.com

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, MoxFool@a... wrote:

                > Yup, that's the one, Sir Donngal.....dratted translation
                problem! :D The one I am making is based off a combo of my previously
                mentioned link, a drawing deom one of the Czarnakiego/Katski members,
                and the Sgt. in WF&S (you can see it nicely in the book & movie, in
                the scene where Bohun is brought in as a captive at the end of the
                movie. The sgt's is grey w/ red zupan underneath).

                > I am going to try it un-tailored, but I may take it in a very
                slight bit (1") at the waist for some shape.

                > Zygmunt

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Rick Orli
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
                  And are originally made of what is in English called Frieze
                  material
                  some notes from `Textiles of the Common Man and Woman 1580-1660'
                  by Stuart Peachy (England context)

                  "Raising was napping the fabric with teasling or frizing. Teasling
                  used the seed pod of a cultivated teasle set in a frame. Frizing uses
                  fine metal rubbers (sort of like a curry brush) in a circular motion,
                  and was done to one side only. Cottoning was similar. Frieze, rugs,
                  and cottons were usually finished at this stage.
                  Frizado is a sort of napping in a single direction, which especially
                  when done to a `hairy' woolen produced a sort of shaggy effect.

                  "A frieze is a corse heavy cloth, the warmest winter outerwear, and
                  also fashionable when of fine quality. It was made 24" wide and was
                  very heavy and thick (2mm plus), the heaviest and thickest made.
                  There is another similar cloth called `rug' which may be the same
                  basic fabric but in the context of bed covers/blankets rather then
                  clothing. Clothing made with Frieze listed in estates were usually
                  outerwear; `gowns' (long overcoats), coats, and jerkins - usually
                  grey, black or russet, with a little white, red, green and indigo.
                  The frieze finish is heavily napped such that it looks like felt, and
                  is usually `hairy shag, nappie or high nap, full of hair'.

                  (By the way, the Frizado finish mentioned above in part 1 can be
                  applied to non-frieze cloth.)

                  One side is `hairy' - which side was worn `out'? Peachy describes the
                  two schools of thought:
                  hairy side out... if nap is downward it might shed water- good for
                  rain etc..
                  Hairy side in.... if for winter and so primarily for insulation, the
                  felt windproof side should be out and the hairy side in would trap
                  pockets of warm air. He points to examples of illustrations that seem
                  to show shaggy side in.

                  In 1608-9 frieze was heavily exported from England; exports:
                  cottons (wool lining) 42000 yards
                  Broadcloth 16000 yards
                  Frieze 12000 yards
                  Kersies (twill) 8400 yards
                  Penistones 2600 yards
                  Wadmoles 1900 yards
                  plus various others in small quantities, for example:
                  Polonia Cloth 560 yards
                  Linsey Woolsey 60 yards

                  Flannel was made in some quantity also, but it was lightweight poor
                  quality cloth that was not exported much. Frieze nap is raised more
                  than flannel, which is matted yet flat.

                  'Cotton' is made of sheep-wool (not the cotton plant!). It is similar
                  to frieze but is not as dense and not as tightly matted, so is
                  unsuitable for outerwear but good for lining other cloth. It is
                  half the weight of frieze or less. It is made of inferior wool,
                  unsuitable for other uses, and is quite cheap. (About the only
                  documented mention of using cotton to alone make clothes is for
                  children, especially in orphanages.) The slack weave of cotton made
                  it stretchy, so it was used by the military for socks. Like the
                  frieze, it is made in 24inch widths.

                  Cotton is about 1/3 the cost of frieze, frieze is about half the cost
                  of a fine broadcloth.