Russian Tales Question

  • Justin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2006
      Greetings!

      Could anyone direct me to a good source, online or print, of
      documentable Russian folk and fairy tales? I am in the process of
      trying to build my repertoire and would prefer to stick to period
      tales. I have a book of traditional Russian fairy tales, but none of
      them are documented.

      Also, could anyone direct me toward good resources on period Russian
      poetry?

      YIS,
      Iustinos
    • Kseniia Smolnianina
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2006
        Ooo, you need The Lay of Igor's Campaign! Or a book of Russian bylini
        (epic poems). Here's an article about The Lay of Igor's Campaign:
        http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9042069

        "[A] masterpiece of Old Russian literature, an account of the
        unsuccessful campaign in 1185 of Prince Igor of Novgorod-Seversky
        against the Polovtsy (Kipchak, or Cumans). As in the great French epic
        The Song of Roland, Igor's heroic pride draws him into a combat in
        which the odds are too great for him. Though defeated, Igor escapes
        his captors and returns to his people. The tale was written
        anonymously (1185–87) and preserved in a single manuscript, which was
        discovered in 1795 by A.I. Musin-Pushkin, published in 1800, and lost
        during Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812."

        Here's an Amazon link to a translation by Nabokov:
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087501061X/sr=1-2/qid=1137543929/ref=sr_1_2/103-5911487-8090237?%5Fencoding=UTF8
        (If that link doesn't work, put "Igor's Campaign" - in quotes - into
        the search box at Amazon.com.)

        Also, look for stories featuring Ilya Muromets, Dobrynia Nikitich or
        Alyosha Popovich.

        --Kseniia

        --
        **********************************
        Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2006
          I also picked up a copy of "Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, and Tales"
          [[Edited by Serge A. Zenovsky]] from Barnes & Noble. So far it's been an
          interesting read...

          ISBN: 0-452-01086-1 (for those interested)

          Mishka

        • Charles Richter
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2006
            Justin wrote:
            > Could anyone direct me to a good source, online or print, of
            > documentable Russian folk and fairy tales? I am in the process of
            > trying to build my repertoire and would prefer to stick to period
            > tales. I have a book of traditional Russian fairy tales, but none of
            > them are documented.

            I don't know if you read Russian, but in case you do, the entirety of
            the 1984-85 edition of Afanas'ev's folk tales is reprinted here:

            http://feb-web.ru/feb/skazki/default.asp

            The site's navigation is rather cumbersome--you have to keep on
            expanding the menus on the left until you reach the texts, then click on
            their links to open them in new windows. But it's quite worth it.

            --Charles

          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2006
              Greetings!

              > Could anyone direct me to a good source, online or print, of
              > documentable Russian folk and fairy tales? I am in the process of
              > trying to build my repertoire and would prefer to stick to period
              > tales. I have a book of traditional Russian fairy tales, but none of
              > them are documented.
              >
              > Also, could anyone direct me toward good resources on period Russian
              > poetry?

              1) Documented period tales... You see, the whole world started collecting folk texts about the same time - mid-19 century, the time of Grimm bros, Pre-Raffaelites and Schlimann. The oldest collection is Pesni Kirshi Danilova (Kirsha/Cyrill Danilov Songs), composewd in 1740s, edited several years later. The modern research found that the collection of Bylinas and folk ballads on topics ranging from 10 to 17 century really matches some Cyrill Danilov, a worker on a metallurgy plant in the Urals, a descendant of Archangelsk (and in the larger scale - Novgorod) Skomorokhi - entertainers, actors, etc., keeping much of folk texts until they were outlawed in mid-17 century. The plant owner appreciated Danilov's songs and allowed him to perform at plant workers' weddings, and especially for himself - there are some paper notes about that, dated 1740s and 1750s. So, the mecenate ordered to have Danilov's songs written down with notation (violin music), and about 1750 - the book is at
              home, I am writing from work so I forgot the exact date - the book was published, containing about several dozens of songs with notation. There were bylinas of Kievan and Novgorod cycle, some no-date scabrous songs, traditionally performed at wedding following the ancient tradition, historic ballads on 15-16-century events, and some 16-17-century songs.
              It seems like Danilov was one of those skomorokhs who, following the flow of the Novgorod expansion, first moved to Archangelsk region, and were moved from there to the Urals (the state and private factories in the North-Central Urals emerging in early 18 century were sourced by people from the Russian North - living from the White Sea to the North Urals, the former Novgorod Lands. So, Kirsha Danilov came to the Urals with a pack of ancient songs that were passed from generation to generation, and then composed some himself as well - one or two of the songs mention some Cyril.

              The notation was published only in the first editions of 17-eraly 18 century, and in one of the latest - mine is of the early 2000s. I guess there are some texts on the Internet, and - surprisingly - I found once a piece from a Bylina about Dobrynia in a sheet music collection for piano players, so you have some chance to get it too.

              2) Period Russian Poetry... For pre-mongol times - none of the kind, I fear. Epics, yes. Slovo O Polku Igoreve (12 cent.) being one of the major issues. Also, Zadonschina, 15 cent., speaking of teh Kulikovo field battle, using much of the vocabulary of Slovo o Polku... . Though, there's something for very late period - 15 and 16 century. Say, the Kalyazin Petition (Kalyazinskaya Chelobitnaya) a 15-cent. satire filled with real Renaissance spirit.

              Hope I told something that helps.
              Bye,
              Alex