Alternate names list, part II

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2005
      Hi all,
      After putting together the Latvian and Lithuanian, which were only
      recorded very late in our period, I've set to work on the Old Prussian
      titles.

      So, my next question, is do I document and use the period words,
      written down by German scholars in the 14th century, or do I use the
      modern Prussian reconstructions of the language?

      Personally, I would prefer to stick to the 14th century spellings,
      however as I am writing this for SCA use, and it is a dead language,
      is there a precedent or decision pertaining to what spelling to use?

      I can't find anything, but that might just be me.
      Thank-you for all the help and suggestions so far!

      Asfridhr
      http://499angels.net/baltic/alternate.html
    • John Kowal
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        Here is a holiday greetings that I sent out to some friends in the form
        of a persona story. I hope you enjoy it as the great day approaches.
        AVL

        The hills sparkle with fresh snowfall. The night sky is crystal clear
        and
        the star are shining brightly. There is a very gentle breeze that
        caresses
        the landscape and the great manor.

        Outside Singers old and young have gathered together into the courtyard
        of
        the noble's manor and now stand assembled before the great oaken doors.
        Some
        bear bardyky(axes with bells attached) and have approached singing and
        dancing( with small hopping movements).

        Andrei tugs on his older brother's sleeve impatiently, "Boris?", he
        whispers
        enquiringly.

        Boris looks down rather sternly, takes a deep breath remembering the
        solemnity of the day and softens his gaze, "Andrei Sviatoslavich be
        patient,
        all things come to those who wait." He smiles and ruffles the young boys
        hair. "Now pay attention..."

        The bereza (leader) of the singers bearing a birch-wood cross comes to
        the fore
        and all dancing and singing stops. As one the entire vataha (group) bows
        three times before the doors. The bereza leads the song with the whole
        vataha joining in singing the refrain, "Oi dai Bozhe (Oh, God Grant
        It)",
        all the while ringing their bells and stamping their feet.

        The bolts are lifted and the oaken doors swing open, the head of the
        household, The Master invites them into main hall. A strand of flax is
        wound around
        the birch before it enters the household. Thus we commemorate our
        ancestors
        on this holy day.

        "Christos Rhosdietstya!(Christ is Born) Come in! Come in! Warm
        yourselves,
        take your ease at the table and join us for some warm cider and
        pampushki (treats).", the Master invites joyfully.

        "Slavietoyoho!(Salutations)", they robustly respond and shuffle into the
        hall. Servants take cloaks and wraps away and they join the assembled
        hall
        and guests. One by one each guest of the hall is approached by members
        of
        the vataha and asked their preference. In turn a carol or a dance is
        performed until each in the hall has been thus served. Meanwhile the
        vahata
        are served as much food and drink as they will.

        Andrei's eyes are wide open taking in the grand hall before him, the
        roaring
        hearths, fresh straw placed beneath the tables on which 12 traditional
        dishes are arrayed. He sees the place of honour with the didkh and
        glittering golden holy icon of the Holy Mother and Baby ... it's beauty
        takes his breath away. He watches with pride as his brother Boris sings,
        "Boh Prevechni", his favorite carol. In turn he joins two other young
        boys
        and three young girls in a partnered folk dance.

        The Master of the House rises and calls the dancers forth, he gives
        each a glass bead of
        intricate design as showing his special pleasure with their performance.
        "Well done Andrei!", Boris replies when they rejoin the vahata. Andrei
        is
        smiling widley and can't wait to tell Mama and Dadu when he gets home.

        With all cheered in the hall by good song and dance the vataha rise and
        gather at the end of the hall. The bereza steps forward and they all
        recite,
        "May God Watch and Grant Good Health Unto This House the Year Round!"

        The Master if the House rises and brings forth the koliada (the
        traditional gift for the choral
        group), "And May He Be With You and Yours".

        The vataha all begin to dance and sing and moving outside they form a
        ring
        around the Master of the House, who accompanied with his own fiddler,
        play
        a final round that leads to the bereza with cross leading the spiraling
        vataha out of the courtyard and on down the road to the next manor.

        Standing at the gates gazing out on the hills and manors beyond the
        Master of the House sends
        his own quiet salutation out to - Castel Rouge, Carraig Ban, Households
        and
        Friends, Northshield and lands beyond ... "Christos
        Rhosdietstya!"

        The Master signals for the gates to be closed. He returns to his guests
        in the main
        hall with happy musings on what the new year will bring.

        Translated from Old Church Salvonic this January.
        Master Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev,"elf-counsel" "truth-speaker"
        Barony of Castel Rouge
        Region of the Plains
        Kingdom of Northshield