Re: [sig] Re: Bohemian Question

  • John Kowal
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
      Greetings All;

      Picking up on the Saint Wenceslas theme below as a possible source.

      Medieval Slavic Lives
      Marvin Kantor
      1983 Michigan Slavic Publications
      Ann Arbor, Michigan
      0-930042-44-1
      pgs 139 - 162 The Life of Wenceslas

      It has some black and white photos of illuminations and text (in OCS
      -Old Church Slavonic) circa 11thc. However it mentions that the
      Slavonic Church ceased to exist circa 1100 and was cut off from its
      roots by the external pressures of German-Latin Church. Existing copies
      of said work are far and few between and mostly survived by traveling
      eastward toward Russia. You can try and interdepartmental library loan
      it. Or I can try and take digital pics out of my copy and send them to
      you if you like?

      What I did with my Peerage Scroll was use the Illuminations a basis of
      decoration. As well as examples of period tile work as a basis for some
      decoration as well. I had a talented scribe look at the lay out of Old
      Church Slavonic and basically make up her own script. So when looking
      at it initially you have a feel for the look but it is in modern era
      english. Though my period is 10th and 11thc and not 14th.

      If we are looking at 14th c then the style very much would likely
      change. Especially with a more German-Latin stylization of the art and
      illumination.
      Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev