Re: Bohemian Question

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
      Xorazne writes:

      > Does anyone have any research information on 14th C. Bohemian scroll
      > texts or coronation ceremonies?

      Well those are pretty big questions, and I guess the answer depends on
      how much detail you really want/need, and on whether you can speak (or
      at least read) Czech...

      Charles IV (b.1316, d.1378) actually rewrote the whole coronation ritual
      for his own coronation as King of Bohemia on September 2nd 1347. The
      whole thing is set out in a manuscript entitled "Ordo Ad Coronandum
      Regem Boemorum" (lit. "The Order of Coronation of the Kings of
      Bohemia"), which I think is not yet available online as part of the
      Czech National Library's vast (and UNESCO-approved) digitisation
      programme, though I could be wrong.

      An edition of the Ordo ACRB was however published as:
      Emler, J, "Řád korunování krále českého a královny", in: Památky staré
      literatury české, Prague 1878
      (Without diacriticals that's "Rad korunovani krale ceskeho a kralovny",
      in: Pamatky stare literatury ceske, and yes, that's 1878 not 1978...)

      I am not aware of any English translation of the Order of Coronation, so
      Latin or Czech it will probably have to be. A summary in Czech of the
      coronation process appears on pp35-37 of:
      Various authors: "České korunovační klenoty" (3rd extended edition),
      Prague, Prague Castle Administration, 1998
      (Without diaciticals: "Ceske korunovacni klenoty")
      No English edition of the latter has been published, although I am
      trying to convince the powers that be to let me do one before the
      coronation jewels next go on display (probably in about 20 years... - I
      did get to translate the texts accompanying their last exhibition,
      though!)

      According to this summary, the various stages of the coronation were:
      1. Prayers at Vyšehrad (formerly a royal seat, at the opposite end of
      Prague from the Castle...) the evening before the coronation.
      2. On the morning of the coronation day, the ritual of awakening the
      lord
      3. Formal procession to the Cathedral
      4. Formal procession to the Altar of the Holy Rood
      5. Vows and acclamation
      6. Litany
      7. Celebration of a Full Mass, which is interrupted by...
      8. The bringing of the Holy Oil.
      9. The ceremony of the Annointing with Holy Oil
      10. Benediction and the giving of the insignia
      11. Blessing of the crown and the coronation of the King.
      12. The Enthronement of the King
      13. Pronouncement of the Te Deum
      14. The Royal Oath is given by the King.
      15. Benediction and annointing of the Queen.
      16. Coronation of the Queen
      17. Mass continues with a reading from the Gospel of St Matthew
      18. The King dedicates a white loaf and a silver jug filled with wine
      and "an amount of gold appropriate to the King's dignity", as does the
      Queen. The King is to be preceded to and from the altar by a drawn
      sword.
      19. The service ends with a benediction. If the king wishes, he may be
      escorted by princes or nobles to the altar to receive communion in both
      kinds from the hands of the archbishop.

      Less usefully, there is a reference in the Chronicle of the Prague
      Church by Beneš Krabice of Weitmile for the year 1347, but this contains
      no details of the ceremony.

      You might like to note that since the King of Bohemia ruled "by Grace of
      God", it was appropriate (until the 17th century) to kneel before him.

      Hope this helps

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
      = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

      6.12.2005
    • John Kowal
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
        Greetings All;

        Picking up on the Saint Wenceslas theme below as a possible source.

        Medieval Slavic Lives
        Marvin Kantor
        1983 Michigan Slavic Publications
        Ann Arbor, Michigan
        0-930042-44-1
        pgs 139 - 162 The Life of Wenceslas

        It has some black and white photos of illuminations and text (in OCS
        -Old Church Slavonic) circa 11thc. However it mentions that the
        Slavonic Church ceased to exist circa 1100 and was cut off from its
        roots by the external pressures of German-Latin Church. Existing copies
        of said work are far and few between and mostly survived by traveling
        eastward toward Russia. You can try and interdepartmental library loan
        it. Or I can try and take digital pics out of my copy and send them to
        you if you like?

        What I did with my Peerage Scroll was use the Illuminations a basis of
        decoration. As well as examples of period tile work as a basis for some
        decoration as well. I had a talented scribe look at the lay out of Old
        Church Slavonic and basically make up her own script. So when looking
        at it initially you have a feel for the look but it is in modern era
        english. Though my period is 10th and 11thc and not 14th.

        If we are looking at 14th c then the style very much would likely
        change. Especially with a more German-Latin stylization of the art and
        illumination.
        Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev