Re: Bohemian Question

  • analog4kid
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
      Hmmm...I'll have to check and see if anything is mentioned in the book
      from the Prague exhibit the Met had. Unfortunately with the holyday
      season and being knee deep in something else for our Kingdom's 12th
      Night, i can't promise a timetable.

      I know the book has some of the best manuscript repro pictures I've
      seen in awhile, so I can certainly get you "style", but I don't know
      about text.

      Jan

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "xorazneartsruni" <markandnancyk@c...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any research information on 14th C. Bohemian scroll
      > texts or coronation ceremonies?
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Xorazne

    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
        Xorazne writes:

        > Does anyone have any research information on 14th C. Bohemian scroll
        > texts or coronation ceremonies?

        Well those are pretty big questions, and I guess the answer depends on
        how much detail you really want/need, and on whether you can speak (or
        at least read) Czech...

        Charles IV (b.1316, d.1378) actually rewrote the whole coronation ritual
        for his own coronation as King of Bohemia on September 2nd 1347. The
        whole thing is set out in a manuscript entitled "Ordo Ad Coronandum
        Regem Boemorum" (lit. "The Order of Coronation of the Kings of
        Bohemia"), which I think is not yet available online as part of the
        Czech National Library's vast (and UNESCO-approved) digitisation
        programme, though I could be wrong.

        An edition of the Ordo ACRB was however published as:
        Emler, J, "Řád korunování krále českého a královny", in: Památky staré
        literatury české, Prague 1878
        (Without diacriticals that's "Rad korunovani krale ceskeho a kralovny",
        in: Pamatky stare literatury ceske, and yes, that's 1878 not 1978...)

        I am not aware of any English translation of the Order of Coronation, so
        Latin or Czech it will probably have to be. A summary in Czech of the
        coronation process appears on pp35-37 of:
        Various authors: "České korunovační klenoty" (3rd extended edition),
        Prague, Prague Castle Administration, 1998
        (Without diaciticals: "Ceske korunovacni klenoty")
        No English edition of the latter has been published, although I am
        trying to convince the powers that be to let me do one before the
        coronation jewels next go on display (probably in about 20 years... - I
        did get to translate the texts accompanying their last exhibition,
        though!)

        According to this summary, the various stages of the coronation were:
        1. Prayers at Vyšehrad (formerly a royal seat, at the opposite end of
        Prague from the Castle...) the evening before the coronation.
        2. On the morning of the coronation day, the ritual of awakening the
        lord
        3. Formal procession to the Cathedral
        4. Formal procession to the Altar of the Holy Rood
        5. Vows and acclamation
        6. Litany
        7. Celebration of a Full Mass, which is interrupted by...
        8. The bringing of the Holy Oil.
        9. The ceremony of the Annointing with Holy Oil
        10. Benediction and the giving of the insignia
        11. Blessing of the crown and the coronation of the King.
        12. The Enthronement of the King
        13. Pronouncement of the Te Deum
        14. The Royal Oath is given by the King.
        15. Benediction and annointing of the Queen.
        16. Coronation of the Queen
        17. Mass continues with a reading from the Gospel of St Matthew
        18. The King dedicates a white loaf and a silver jug filled with wine
        and "an amount of gold appropriate to the King's dignity", as does the
        Queen. The King is to be preceded to and from the altar by a drawn
        sword.
        19. The service ends with a benediction. If the king wishes, he may be
        escorted by princes or nobles to the altar to receive communion in both
        kinds from the hands of the archbishop.

        Less usefully, there is a reference in the Chronicle of the Prague
        Church by Beneš Krabice of Weitmile for the year 1347, but this contains
        no details of the ceremony.

        You might like to note that since the King of Bohemia ruled "by Grace of
        God", it was appropriate (until the 17th century) to kneel before him.

        Hope this helps

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
        = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

        6.12.2005
      • John Kowal
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
          Greetings All;

          Picking up on the Saint Wenceslas theme below as a possible source.

          Medieval Slavic Lives
          Marvin Kantor
          1983 Michigan Slavic Publications
          Ann Arbor, Michigan
          0-930042-44-1
          pgs 139 - 162 The Life of Wenceslas

          It has some black and white photos of illuminations and text (in OCS
          -Old Church Slavonic) circa 11thc. However it mentions that the
          Slavonic Church ceased to exist circa 1100 and was cut off from its
          roots by the external pressures of German-Latin Church. Existing copies
          of said work are far and few between and mostly survived by traveling
          eastward toward Russia. You can try and interdepartmental library loan
          it. Or I can try and take digital pics out of my copy and send them to
          you if you like?

          What I did with my Peerage Scroll was use the Illuminations a basis of
          decoration. As well as examples of period tile work as a basis for some
          decoration as well. I had a talented scribe look at the lay out of Old
          Church Slavonic and basically make up her own script. So when looking
          at it initially you have a feel for the look but it is in modern era
          english. Though my period is 10th and 11thc and not 14th.

          If we are looking at 14th c then the style very much would likely
          change. Especially with a more German-Latin stylization of the art and
          illumination.
          Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev