Re: Bohemian Question

  • Jeremy J. Slick
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
      Greetings Your Highness!

      I've gotten a preliminary response from those that I've been in
      contact with. So far this is the only example that has been found:

      http://www.nd.edu/~medvllib/apocalypse/wences.html

      I hope that this will at least be a start for what you were needing.
      Until the next time,
      Mishka / Giudo

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "xorazneartsruni" <markandnancyk@c...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any research information on 14th C. Bohemian scroll
      > texts or coronation ceremonies?
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Xorazne
    • analog4kid
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
        Hmmm...I'll have to check and see if anything is mentioned in the book
        from the Prague exhibit the Met had. Unfortunately with the holyday
        season and being knee deep in something else for our Kingdom's 12th
        Night, i can't promise a timetable.

        I know the book has some of the best manuscript repro pictures I've
        seen in awhile, so I can certainly get you "style", but I don't know
        about text.

        Jan

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "xorazneartsruni" <markandnancyk@c...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any research information on 14th C. Bohemian scroll
        > texts or coronation ceremonies?
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Xorazne

      • Alastair Millar
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
          Xorazne writes:

          > Does anyone have any research information on 14th C. Bohemian scroll
          > texts or coronation ceremonies?

          Well those are pretty big questions, and I guess the answer depends on
          how much detail you really want/need, and on whether you can speak (or
          at least read) Czech...

          Charles IV (b.1316, d.1378) actually rewrote the whole coronation ritual
          for his own coronation as King of Bohemia on September 2nd 1347. The
          whole thing is set out in a manuscript entitled "Ordo Ad Coronandum
          Regem Boemorum" (lit. "The Order of Coronation of the Kings of
          Bohemia"), which I think is not yet available online as part of the
          Czech National Library's vast (and UNESCO-approved) digitisation
          programme, though I could be wrong.

          An edition of the Ordo ACRB was however published as:
          Emler, J, "Řád korunování krále českého a královny", in: Památky staré
          literatury české, Prague 1878
          (Without diacriticals that's "Rad korunovani krale ceskeho a kralovny",
          in: Pamatky stare literatury ceske, and yes, that's 1878 not 1978...)

          I am not aware of any English translation of the Order of Coronation, so
          Latin or Czech it will probably have to be. A summary in Czech of the
          coronation process appears on pp35-37 of:
          Various authors: "České korunovační klenoty" (3rd extended edition),
          Prague, Prague Castle Administration, 1998
          (Without diaciticals: "Ceske korunovacni klenoty")
          No English edition of the latter has been published, although I am
          trying to convince the powers that be to let me do one before the
          coronation jewels next go on display (probably in about 20 years... - I
          did get to translate the texts accompanying their last exhibition,
          though!)

          According to this summary, the various stages of the coronation were:
          1. Prayers at Vyšehrad (formerly a royal seat, at the opposite end of
          Prague from the Castle...) the evening before the coronation.
          2. On the morning of the coronation day, the ritual of awakening the
          lord
          3. Formal procession to the Cathedral
          4. Formal procession to the Altar of the Holy Rood
          5. Vows and acclamation
          6. Litany
          7. Celebration of a Full Mass, which is interrupted by...
          8. The bringing of the Holy Oil.
          9. The ceremony of the Annointing with Holy Oil
          10. Benediction and the giving of the insignia
          11. Blessing of the crown and the coronation of the King.
          12. The Enthronement of the King
          13. Pronouncement of the Te Deum
          14. The Royal Oath is given by the King.
          15. Benediction and annointing of the Queen.
          16. Coronation of the Queen
          17. Mass continues with a reading from the Gospel of St Matthew
          18. The King dedicates a white loaf and a silver jug filled with wine
          and "an amount of gold appropriate to the King's dignity", as does the
          Queen. The King is to be preceded to and from the altar by a drawn
          sword.
          19. The service ends with a benediction. If the king wishes, he may be
          escorted by princes or nobles to the altar to receive communion in both
          kinds from the hands of the archbishop.

          Less usefully, there is a reference in the Chronicle of the Prague
          Church by Beneš Krabice of Weitmile for the year 1347, but this contains
          no details of the ceremony.

          You might like to note that since the King of Bohemia ruled "by Grace of
          God", it was appropriate (until the 17th century) to kneel before him.

          Hope this helps

          Alastair

          Alastair Millar BSc(Hons) - http://www.skriptorium.info
          = Translation & consultancy for the heritage industry =

          6.12.2005
        • John Kowal
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
            Greetings All;

            Picking up on the Saint Wenceslas theme below as a possible source.

            Medieval Slavic Lives
            Marvin Kantor
            1983 Michigan Slavic Publications
            Ann Arbor, Michigan
            0-930042-44-1
            pgs 139 - 162 The Life of Wenceslas

            It has some black and white photos of illuminations and text (in OCS
            -Old Church Slavonic) circa 11thc. However it mentions that the
            Slavonic Church ceased to exist circa 1100 and was cut off from its
            roots by the external pressures of German-Latin Church. Existing copies
            of said work are far and few between and mostly survived by traveling
            eastward toward Russia. You can try and interdepartmental library loan
            it. Or I can try and take digital pics out of my copy and send them to
            you if you like?

            What I did with my Peerage Scroll was use the Illuminations a basis of
            decoration. As well as examples of period tile work as a basis for some
            decoration as well. I had a talented scribe look at the lay out of Old
            Church Slavonic and basically make up her own script. So when looking
            at it initially you have a feel for the look but it is in modern era
            english. Though my period is 10th and 11thc and not 14th.

            If we are looking at 14th c then the style very much would likely
            change. Especially with a more German-Latin stylization of the art and
            illumination.
            Aleksandr Vasilevych Lev