a tidbit of ancient Russian history

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2005
      Below is a very interesting paragraph about the dress of a Russian doll for sale on ebay. Thought you might be interested.

      Nadya

      This is a Vedrussian dress. Yes, I know that previously it was mistakenly believed that Slavic people originated in Kiev area around 400-600 AD. However, this view holds no more. It is now obvious that the Slavic culture is at least 25000 years old. The Sungir settlement with a developed civilization, houses, jewelry, tools, elaborate dress, burials, etc., discovered by archeologists just outside the city of Vladimir in central Russia dates back to the Upper Paleolith (22000 to 26000 years old (you can easily look it up on-line by making a Google search for Sungir). Then, the city of Arkaim - possessing an even more elaborate culture - found back in 1987 in the Ural Mountains is around 4000 years old. The Vedas of Veles book describes events in Slavic / Aryan history dating back to at least 20000 years. So, Slavic people (or their civilized forebears) are one of the most ancient civilizations in the world, pre-dating Ancient Egypt, for example, for tens of thousands of years. If you read Russian or other slavic languages, there are now many popular and scholarly books on the subject of the origines of the Slavs (I will be happy to send you a few references if you are interested). The prototype of the dress on this doll is a reconstrucion of a Bronze Age Aryan dress, made by a well-know historian, archeologist and Slavic linguist Dr. Asov, and is shown on page 19 of his richly illustrated book 'Ancient Aryans, Slavs and the Rus', published in 2003. This ancient Slavic civilization is now frequently referred to as Vedrussian (i.e., Russia of the times of the Vedas) - please see Vladimir Megre's wonderful books in The Ringing Cedars Series (available in 20 languages), three of which are already available in English (see www.RingingCedars.com ).

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
        Greetings!

        Fake, it's all a fake - or, to be precise, a creative myth. Zvenyaschiye Kedry Rossii are something in between a pagan/heathen sect and a nationalistic circle of artists and history-happy people. This is not in the least a piece historic evidence, it is self-propaganda of a rather narrow circle of patriotically-minded people that make a myth of their own out of a re-written history. Arkaim was never a Slavic settlement, not to say that there were about a dozen of different culture settlements of 1-2 millenium BC dug out in Arkaim. Afair, a bit of info in English is available at www.arkaim.com .

        Sungir settlement is well known to historians for half a century at least, it is in all pre-historic history handbooks. All in all, those times they could have been pre-Finns or pre-Balts, not in the least pre-Slavs. Slavic conquest of European Russia took place in historic times already. The Veles Book is either a 19-century fake, or a kind of pagan pamphlet compiled earlier though not in 9 century as it claims. The Veles Book discussion is an ever-discussed topic in _folk_ history. Almost no or really no historian believes it is a 9-century source as its believers claim.

        Ah! I got it. "Vedrussians" is simply "Veda Russians, as the new wave of paganism in Russia (I belonged to one) strictly distinguished themselves (as heathens) from "simply pagan" cults and believings like Shaman practices of teh North, etc. They claimed sharing the views and cults with ancient Arians, that once wrote the Vedas and teh Avesta.

        Thus, the whole text is an advertisement roller of neo-pagans of Veda type, no relation to history.

        Hope you are not so disappointed.