Re[2]: [sig] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: Ethimology of "Polovtsy"

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2005
      Ggeetings!
      > Dear Uma Palata, you are right to a certain point. Polje means cultivated
      > land and therefore could not be used to describe an uncultivated land as the
      > Ucrianian steppe was (and is). In fact the current use was DIKOE POLJE or
      > Wilderness for the Steppe. In any case this has no connection with Polovzi.
      > As you know from your mother tongue the adj. POLOVYI in Russian is the term
      > used to describe the straw-yellow hue of the cattle fleece and POLOVETS is
      ???????
      Any Russian source I read on possible origins of the word said nothing of the blonde fleece. Only of the straw.

      > the head of cattle of such a hue. Since the Polovzy were most probably of
      > Iranic descent and tightly related with ASY os ALANS, who were blonde and
      The Kipchak group of the Turks. No indo-europeans, except maybe some indo-european tribes that joined the Turcic migration.
      Modern Kazakh speak the language of _Kipchak_ subgroup of TURCIC languages, and are the direct descendants of Desht-I-Kypchak dwellers.

      > blue-eyed, they were named so because of this physical aspect. A part of the
      As I said in another message, the Pecheneg (by some reports) had fair complexion and blonde hair as well. Thus, no special reason to mark out another group of nomads that have same hair color. Nearly any Caucasus/Middle East nation boasts having fair complexion and blonde or red hair before the Mongol came. I read that of the Volga Tatar (ex-Bulgar), of the Kazakh, of the Armenians, etc.

      > Polovzy were called instead BLACK HATS (Cjornye Klobuki) because they used
      > such black astrakhan-goat fleece for their shapki.
      Karakalpak in the Turcic language. The nation stil exists.

      Bye,
      Alex.