letnik thread

  • Magdalena Gdanska
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2005
      Hello all. I've been searching for information on the "Polish" letnik
      mentioned in Irena Turnau's book about Central European clothing. She
      includes no pictures and a her description could look like just about
      anything.

      Have any of my Russian "cousins" come across any pictures or references
      for the Polish letnik while researching the Russian letnik?

      I can put together my own idea but I would love to have a picture for
      documentation.

      Magdalena Gdanska
    • Stephanie Ross
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2005
        There was a Russian website I found and sent a link to a few months ago in which the authors of the website had created a whole "suit" for both women and men circa 1500, mostly Novgorodian. The letnik was one of the garments they reconstructed, using two different icons as documentation. Their interpretation was made of heavy red linen, pulled on over the head, with wide sleeves edged in fur. Its cut resembled that of a dalmatica, and it did not reach the ground. One of the icon pictures may show the letnik with a front opening similar to a shuba, but the picture is too blurry to tell exactly. The icon letnik has fur around the sleeves and hem and a circular collar. One figure's collar is edged in fur, while the other is gold. Olga (webpage author) made her letnik with black fox fur sleeve edging, a round collar of black velvet with pearls, studs and stones on it (also black velvet in a narrow trim down the front and around the hem, also embellished). I did a very sad translation of the page using an online translator, which follows below:

        <The most typical female outer clothing of that time - letnik - free, not too dolgopolyj (so, that stops are visible), with wide sleeves. Letnik decorated additional special stripes - voshvy from other material. Voshvy, apparently, were stored separately and could be sewed on different letniki. So, in the will volockoj princesses Julianii (1503) are named 4 letnika without voshv and separately 12 voshv. " Voshva on one nakapku shita gold yes sazhena was zhemch'ugom yes zhemch'ug from it snizan, and has remained it a little " (DDG, 87, pgs. 349-350).
        Letnik is specifically female outer clothing which was put on never by men.
        In our complex letnik sshit from dense red flax. The round collar-oplech'e is clasped behind on three secret pugovki. Voshvy and a collar from a black velvet, rasshity river pearls, the nacreous and gilt beads, and also fine semi-precious stones. Sleeves are sheathed by fur chernoburoj foxes.>
        I don't read Russian well, so I don't know what the source "DDG" is unfortunately. I cannot get back to the webpage for their costumes either right now. The link for their title page is: http://www.sura.ru/partizan/index.html , where you can see a good view of Olga's collar, and a pretty nifty kika too. Anyone interested in the pics of her wearing the letnik can email me at hlaislinn at earthlink dot net. I will send you the pics as attachments since this list will not accept them.
        Nadya