Re: [sig] "Letnik"?

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2005
      Could I read this article of yours? Could you link me to it? I am about to
      deliver my latest book on the history of Novgorod and I tried to describe
      the life in this town around XII-XIII cent.and my interest to know more is
      huge.
      As far as I can add, I know that boyars in Nov. had very long jacket down to
      the ankles and wore a wide belt around the waist (on the outside) which
      could distinguish them from the "black people" (tchorn) in the town
      assemblies (Vyetche). This belt was embroidered with river pearls and gems
      of all kinds, with golden thread etc. The most curious of this apparel was
      the sleeves of these long jacket which were as long i.e. down to the ankles
      and this was not only fashion but also a protection from cold. The shapka
      was also particular.
      Why do you say letnik is from root let- fly? Why could it not be something
      worn in summertime?
      Aldo