RE : [sig] "Letnik"?

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2005
      From my article on Kievan Russian Clothing:

      The Letnik Letniki (from word for wings) were a light women's garment with long and wide sleeves ("nakapkami") that were left open along the bottom. They seem to have been worn beginning later in the period of Kievan Rus, or more properly appanage Rus under the Mongols, appearing in the costume of noble city-dwellers in the 14-15th centuries. The will of the Verejski and Beloozero Prince Mikhail Andreevich referred to his wife's dresses. They included letniki sewn of striped ob"yar, green and yellow kamki. Sleeves of letnikov were frequently embroidered "voshvami" - with striped aksamite, of black and crimson. (Pushkareva89) It was an outer layer to be worn over the rubakha/s, etc.  Baroness Anastasia is wearing a letnik in the picture on the Russian knowledge pages.

      Korteli Women's winter "korteli" were garments, analogus to letnik, but lined with fur - marten, squirrel, sable, ermine and decorated with various-colored "voshvy" - green, blue, black, "chervchatye" (raspberry/crimson). I haven't figured out exactly what "voshvy" is supposed to be.  Ideas?

      In service,
      Sofya la Rus

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2005
        Thanks. So, after "my time". ;-) (What? You mean,
        it isn't 1030ad for you too? :D )

        Open in the front like a coat?

        and "voshvy"? -maybe Colored beads? Maybe glass, as
        one would guess they'd call a semi-precious stone by
        it's actual name, as opposed to the color.

        --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

        > From my article on Kievan Russian Clothing:
        <SNIP>

        ******************
        Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
        Kingdom of the East
        "Earth: The most dangerous place known to Man. Billions of humans have died there." --TarynEve, "Desert Isle" (ENTff)

        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2005
          The letnik is a summer garment, at least the Russian version.  A fur-lined garment, the kortel, was for winter.

          I always figured it was called a letnik because of the lovely wing-like sleeves.  :)

          Sofya la Rus