fabric for a letnik

  • mamainna2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2005
      I love the fabric information, thank you! But... Even though cotton
      velvet is similar to period fabrics, I would not use it for a letnik.
      Letnik, by definition, if you will, is a summer dress. It would be
      made of a lighterweight fabric, sich as silk, silk moire, fine linen,
      etc. If it is a letnik, it should aslo be unlined. However, there was
      a winter version of the same cut, called kortel (I think...I am at
      work and I am not 100% sure if that is the correct name for the
      garment) which was lined and fur-trimmed. Velvet would work for that one.

      Liudmila
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2005
        So, I've obviously been seeing this term a LOT lately.
        What exactly IS a letnik? Culture? Place? Time?

        I was looking at the LOVELY picture of Baroness
        Anastasia (and boy, do I covet that fabric! :D ), and
        I get it seems to be some sort of coat.

        And of course, when I googled "letnik" nothing in
        English came up! :D

        Thanks!
        Sfandra
        (just one more garb project for newbie, and then I can
        start on my Birka gown... :D :D :D)

        ******************
        Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
        Kingdom of the East
        ******************
        "Earth: The most dangerous place known to Man. Billions of humans have died there." --TarynEve, "Desert Isle" (ENTff)

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • aldo
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2005
          Could I read this article of yours? Could you link me to it? I am about to
          deliver my latest book on the history of Novgorod and I tried to describe
          the life in this town around XII-XIII cent.and my interest to know more is
          huge.
          As far as I can add, I know that boyars in Nov. had very long jacket down to
          the ankles and wore a wide belt around the waist (on the outside) which
          could distinguish them from the "black people" (tchorn) in the town
          assemblies (Vyetche). This belt was embroidered with river pearls and gems
          of all kinds, with golden thread etc. The most curious of this apparel was
          the sleeves of these long jacket which were as long i.e. down to the ankles
          and this was not only fashion but also a protection from cold. The shapka
          was also particular.
          Why do you say letnik is from root let- fly? Why could it not be something
          worn in summertime?
          Aldo