Re: Re[2]: [sig] Russian boots

  • jennifer knox
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
      hi! i have a photograph of 14th century boots from novgorod. they are childrens boots, but are an exact copy of what you see adult men wearing in contemporary art.
      can people send attachments over the mailing list or do i have to upload it to the group page?
      anya

      Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...> wrote:

      Greetings!

      > The only knee length boots were supposedly the
      > Povlotsion kee extensions allegedly worn, as was also
      ?????
      Google does not know the word. what is it?

      > common among the Seljuk Turks as they emerged from the
      > Pontic Steppe into Persia and western
      > Anatolia....Alexey, what's your take on this?
      > 'dok

      Who knows... me - not. I rely on the miniatures in chronicles and on the archaeological finds. They make it like this: pre-mongol boots looked like the modern Tajik, etc soft boots - actually, leather socks, a little lower than the knee, usually up to the thickest part of the calf, i.e. ~2/3 of length up to the knee. They even did not make difference between left and right boot, as with the modern Valenki, simply wearing it to shape.

      If you are asking me of any knee-length boots, I simply do not know any. Steppe dwellers had something on their legs, but that ususally is treated as Nogovitsy, or leggings, in other words. So, if some knee-length leggings werer attached to shoes, making high boots, then this kind of footwear was worn in the Steppe long before teh Seljucks. For instance, such boots-or-leggings-with-shoes are seen on some Cuman Babas (to remain on the leg, those leather tubes were attached to the waist under the outer garment via soft leather belts). Leather leggings for horse-riding warriors are well documented for Ancient and medieval times in Eastern Turkestan (modern Tajikistan, east Kazakhstan and western China) and south Siberia. These are simply the regions I have plenty of material on; I never dug deep into by-Caspian Steppes material culture, as well as the Central Asia proper.

      Bye,
      Alex.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
        Greetings!

        > The correct word is Polovtsi but these nomadic people were better known as
        > CUMANS and spoke Turkish but were blond and blueeyed like the Russians (this
        > is actually the meaning of Polovzi: Straw-color)
        The no less likely origin of the word is from Pole (Steppe), as they were steppe-dwellers. There were LOTS of blond nomads those times, to surprise Russians by blonde hair of the Cumans.

        Bye,
        Alex