Russian boots

  • James Liss
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
      Hello

      Due to a fire at my apartment complex I lost most of
      my garb. I have been able to find drawings of
      clothing items to replace those that were lost. I can
      not find any drawings for Russian boots. I know that
      they were usually around thigh height to just below
      the knee. They were of red, blue or green leather or
      velvet, were ornately decorated with seed pearls, had
      about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch heel and were square toed.
      Does anyone have a picture or drawings that they could
      send me so I could show the gentleman that said he
      could make them for me. Either that or does someone kn
      ow somewhere that I could buy them.

      Thank you very much

      Yasha Romanoff
    • jennifer knox
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
        Sent photo privately...
        anya

        James Liss <houseofromanoff@...> wrote:
        Hello

        Due to a fire at my apartment complex I lost most of
        my garb.

        "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
          Greetings!

          > Due to a fire at my apartment complex I lost most of
          > my garb. I have been able to find drawings of
          > clothing items to replace those that were lost. I can
          > not find any drawings for Russian boots. I know that
          > they were usually around thigh height to just below

          What part of period exactly? Pre-Mongol? 13-15 centuries? Muscovite realm times?
          That makes much - absence or presence of the heel, even the difference between left and right boot (present in the boot patterns, maybe, in very late period or early OOP)

          AFAIK, they NEVER rose to the thigh. See the miniatures in the chronicles.

          > the knee. They were of red, blue or green leather or
          > velvet, were ornately decorated with seed pearls, had
          Only parade ones.
          > about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch heel and were square toed.
          Only in late period, no earlier than 15-16 century.
          Square toe, afair, appears rather late. Moderately sharp toe was characteristic of early boots, according to Novgorod archaeology finds and period drawings.

          bye,
          Alex
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
            Actually, left and right foot patterns are in evidence
            from the Novgorod dig archeological drawings. Also,
            the artifactual record seems to be lagging behind the
            recording significantly at present so this boot debate
            is on really soft ground currently. Very fluid state
            of theory from what I can tell.
            'dok

            --- Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...>

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
              The only knee length boots were supposedly the
              Povlotsion kee extensions allegedly worn, as was also
              common among the Seljuk Turks as they emerged from the
              Pontic Steppe into Persia and western
              Anatolia....Alexey, what's your take on this?

              wrote:

              > Greetings!
              >
              > > Due to a fire at my apartment complex I lost most
              > of
              > > my garb. I have been able to find drawings of
              > > clothing items to replace those that were lost. I
              > can
              > > not find any drawings for Russian boots. I know
              > that
              > > they were usually around thigh height to just
              > below
              >
              > What part of period exactly? Pre-Mongol? 13-15
              > centuries? Muscovite realm times?
              > That makes much - absence or presence of the heel,
              > even the difference between left and right boot
              > (present in the boot patterns, maybe, in very late
              > period or early OOP)
              >
              > AFAIK, they NEVER rose to the thigh. See the
              > miniatures in the chronicles.
              >
              > > the knee. They were of red, blue or green leather
              > or
              > > velvet, were ornately decorated with seed pearls,
              > had
              > Only parade ones.
              > > about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch heel and were square toed.
              > Only in late period, no earlier than 15-16 century.
              > Square toe, afair, appears rather late. Moderately
              > sharp toe was characteristic of early boots,
              > according to Novgorod archaeology finds and period
              > drawings.
              >
              > bye,
              > Alex

              > --------------------~-->
              > Yahoo! your home page

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LmiolB/TM

              __________________________________
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
                Greetings!

                > The only knee length boots were supposedly the
                > Povlotsion kee extensions allegedly worn, as was also
                ?????
                Google does not know the word. what is it?

                > common among the Seljuk Turks as they emerged from the
                > Pontic Steppe into Persia and western
                > Anatolia....Alexey, what's your take on this?
                > 'dok

                Who knows... me - not. I rely on the miniatures in chronicles and on the archaeological finds. They make it like this: pre-mongol boots looked like the modern Tajik, etc soft boots - actually, leather socks, a little lower than the knee, usually up to the thickest part of the calf, i.e. ~2/3 of length up to the knee. They even did not make difference between left and right boot, as with the modern Valenki, simply wearing it to shape.

                If you are asking me of any knee-length boots, I simply do not know any. Steppe dwellers had something on their legs, but that ususally is treated as Nogovitsy, or leggings, in other words. So, if some knee-length leggings werer attached to shoes, making high boots, then this kind of footwear was worn in the Steppe long before teh Seljucks. For instance, such boots-or-leggings-with-shoes are seen on some Cuman Babas (to remain on the leg, those leather tubes were attached to the waist under the outer garment via soft leather belts). Leather leggings for horse-riding warriors are well documented for Ancient and medieval times in Eastern Turkestan (modern Tajikistan, east Kazakhstan and western China) and south Siberia. These are simply the regions I have plenty of material on; I never dug deep into by-Caspian Steppes material culture, as well as the Central Asia proper.

                Bye,
                Alex.
              • aldo
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                  [Clip your posts. Moderator]

                  The correct word is Polovtsi but these nomadic people were better known as
                  CUMANS and spoke Turkish but were blond and blueeyed like the Russians (this
                  is actually the meaning of Polovzi: Straw-color)
                  Ciao

                  [Clip your posts. Moderator]
                • aldo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                    What do you mean by clipping my posts? Sorry but I do not understand. Thanks
                    for explanation and instructions.
                    > The correct word is Polovtsi but these nomadic people were better known as
                    > CUMANS and spoke Turkish but were blond and blueeyed like the Russians
                    (this
                    > is actually the meaning of Polovzi: Straw-color)
                    > Ciao
                    >

                    > [Clip your posts. Moderator]
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • jennifer knox
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                      hi! i have a photograph of 14th century boots from novgorod. they are childrens boots, but are an exact copy of what you see adult men wearing in contemporary art.
                      can people send attachments over the mailing list or do i have to upload it to the group page?
                      anya

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                        Greetings!

                        > The correct word is Polovtsi but these nomadic people were better known as
                        > CUMANS and spoke Turkish but were blond and blueeyed like the Russians (this
                        > is actually the meaning of Polovzi: Straw-color)
                        The no less likely origin of the word is from Pole (Steppe), as they were steppe-dwellers. There were LOTS of blond nomads those times, to surprise Russians by blonde hair of the Cumans.

                        Bye,
                        Alex