Re: Was appropriate fab for letnik...now period fabric merchant..another long one

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2005
      That is good stuff, and I believe that it is basically valid,
      however, is not modern velveteen made using a different technique
      than velvet is? That is velvet is woven such that the weft comes
      out as little loops that are automatically cut, but the 'pile' of
      cotton velveteen fibers are integrated in a different way.
      I don't fully understand the technique, to be honest.
      However, if that is basically true, than pre 18th C. cotton velvets
      would be like modern silk velvets with its looser hairy-ness (for
      lack of a better word) and clearly visible submatrix, and unlike
      modern velveteen which looks and feels, as you say, flocked.
      -Rick

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <fabrix@m...> wrote:

      > > Maria Pienkneplotno..... Polish fabric merchant :-D
      >
      > Maria --
      > Thank you for the lesson! I'm always interested in
      > lessons on period fabrics, it's nice to see it here in
      > context.
      >
      > Do you merchant, or is that your persona?
      >
      > <clip>
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Sfandra Dmitreva
      > (and now I won't hesitate any longer about buying
      > cotton velveteen! :D )
      >
      > Sfandra, yes, this is my persona, my business and my 'habit'. I'm a
      > retired art teacher with a fabric store and the 'need to know it
      all'.
      > My mundane store is Class Act Fabrics (www.classactfabrics.com)
      and my
      > Pennsic store is "Dragon's Magic"...the brown slavic house on
      wheels.
      > I'm having 'issues' with my website and updating it at the moment
      >:-(
      >
      > I do a lot of textile research (and have the library, and empty
      purse,
      > to prove it ;). Thanks to a couple good friends I also have some
      copies
      > of very important research information (thank you again !!!!!!!)
      > Occasionally I come up with a class or two. At Pennsic I
      do 'Fabric 101'
      > every year...identifying fibers (how to do a burn test),
      understanding
      > modern fabric stores, basic fabric structure, etc. I'm working on
      > presentation for 'Fiber, Fabric & Fighting III' on Nov 18-20 in
      > Nithgard: "Medieval and Renaissance Textiles: emphasis on wool"
      > subtitled: 'No They Did Not Wear Burlap!" ;)
      >
      > Every so often I can come up with something that applies to our
      Slavic
> [...]
      other
      > side to richer markets.
      >
      > And there are always 'complications' that arise...i.e....
      > Velvet and velveteen can be so many things! There are many
      different
      > 'feels' to cotton velveteens! The name velveteen is technically
      > applied to the fabric when the pile is made from an extra WEFT
      thread,
      > while the name velvet is technically when the pile is made from an
      > extra WARP thread.
      >
      > However....how many people carry a linen tester or magnifying
      glass with
      > them to determine which is what?! So we usually call the cotton
      ones
      > velveteen.... unless the pile is more loosely packed and is longer
      than
      > 'normal'.
      > There are velvets that are so tight and short that they feel more
      like
      > flocking (short lint fibers that are glued to a very tight, thin
      back).
      > The pile can be so loose that your fingers sink into it
      (sigh!)...or so
      > loose that it feels cheap. And on... You get the idea. Names
      sometimes
      > indicate the manufacturer's idea and not reality ;)
      >
      > The weavers in any of our periods could have been capable of the
      most
      > spectacular things!!! Both in design and in craftsmanship. The
      best way
      > to choose a fabric, knowing that they had the fiber and the
      capability,
      > is to judge by your persona's personal wealth, privilege, class,
      etc.
      > The longer it took to make, the more costly materials used and the
      > farther it had to be transported will determine its affordability
      to a
      > persona. If you had enough money you could get anything you wanted
      > (generally speaking).
      >
      > Fabrics were transported on the trade routes from the earliest
      recorded
      > times. The best wools found their way to the Mediterranean regions
      (and
      > in the earlier Medieval era when trade was less expensive and
      dangerous)
      > even cheap, lightweight wools went too. The cottons went west and
      found
      > their way to the wealthy and important. The people who weren't
      wealthy &
      > important had the fabrics that were made locally with local
      materials.

      > And no, darn it all, I don't have a map by date of what raw
      materials
      > were available where, along with trade routes... Anybody else have
      one I
      > could input into my research?
      > Pretty please?
      >
      > I will be going to the Endless Hills event on Nov
      12..."Fasching"...and