Re: Russian Cookbook

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 1999
      In a message dated 11/28/1999 9:21:00 PM Central Standard Time,
      vespirus@... writes:

      > "Classic Russian Cooking" by Toomre, originally published in 1861

      It's a partial translation of a turn-of-the-century _Joy of Cooking_ -type
      book.

      > -How useful would this book be to someone with minimal experience?
      > (How much do the recipies need to be "interpreted")

      The (selected) recipes are translated and made usable.

      > -How much of the book is reasonably perioid, and how much modern?

      Recipes without New-World ingredients are plausibly period, but that's as far
      as it goes. It is interesting in and of itself as an introduction to Russian
      cooking. The introduction itself contains a little information on period
      cooking, but as we all learn at some point, there is very little usable
      information on period Russian cooking, and except for conjecture and slightly
      more educated guesses, Toomre's book is not very useful for our purposes.

      But it is a very neat book nevertheless, well done and interesting.

      Predslava