Re: [sig] Was appropriate fab for letnik...now period fabric merchant..another long one

  • jennifer knox
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      Thank you thank you thank you!!!! FINALLY someone whos into period cotton use! i wrote a huge class handout on it with all the champagne market data and excavation finds. i, of course, lost the last hardcopy, but it is so nice to hear someone else interested in it!
      anya

      "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2005
        That is good stuff, and I believe that it is basically valid,
        however, is not modern velveteen made using a different technique
        than velvet is? That is velvet is woven such that the weft comes
        out as little loops that are automatically cut, but the 'pile' of
        cotton velveteen fibers are integrated in a different way.
        I don't fully understand the technique, to be honest.
        However, if that is basically true, than pre 18th C. cotton velvets
        would be like modern silk velvets with its looser hairy-ness (for
        lack of a better word) and clearly visible submatrix, and unlike
        modern velveteen which looks and feels, as you say, flocked.
        -Rick

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <fabrix@m...> wrote:

        > > Maria Pienkneplotno..... Polish fabric merchant :-D
        >
        > Maria --
        > Thank you for the lesson! I'm always interested in
        > lessons on period fabrics, it's nice to see it here in
        > context.
        >
        > Do you merchant, or is that your persona?
        >
        > <clip>
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Sfandra Dmitreva
        > (and now I won't hesitate any longer about buying
        > cotton velveteen! :D )
        >
        > Sfandra, yes, this is my persona, my business and my 'habit'. I'm a
        > retired art teacher with a fabric store and the 'need to know it
        all'.
        > My mundane store is Class Act Fabrics (www.classactfabrics.com)
        and my
        > Pennsic store is "Dragon's Magic"...the brown slavic house on
        wheels.
        > I'm having 'issues' with my website and updating it at the moment
        >:-(
        >
        > I do a lot of textile research (and have the library, and empty
        purse,
        > to prove it ;). Thanks to a couple good friends I also have some
        copies
        > of very important research information (thank you again !!!!!!!)
        > Occasionally I come up with a class or two. At Pennsic I
        do 'Fabric 101'
        > every year...identifying fibers (how to do a burn test),
        understanding
        > modern fabric stores, basic fabric structure, etc. I'm working on
        > presentation for 'Fiber, Fabric & Fighting III' on Nov 18-20 in
        > Nithgard: "Medieval and Renaissance Textiles: emphasis on wool"
        > subtitled: 'No They Did Not Wear Burlap!" ;)
        >
        > Every so often I can come up with something that applies to our
        Slavic
> [...]
        other
        > side to richer markets.
        >
        > And there are always 'complications' that arise...i.e....
        > Velvet and velveteen can be so many things! There are many
        different
        > 'feels' to cotton velveteens! The name velveteen is technically
        > applied to the fabric when the pile is made from an extra WEFT
        thread,
        > while the name velvet is technically when the pile is made from an
        > extra WARP thread.
        >
        > However....how many people carry a linen tester or magnifying
        glass with
        > them to determine which is what?! So we usually call the cotton
        ones
        > velveteen.... unless the pile is more loosely packed and is longer
        than
        > 'normal'.
        > There are velvets that are so tight and short that they feel more
        like
        > flocking (short lint fibers that are glued to a very tight, thin
        back).
        > The pile can be so loose that your fingers sink into it
        (sigh!)...or so
        > loose that it feels cheap. And on... You get the idea. Names
        sometimes
        > indicate the manufacturer's idea and not reality ;)
        >
        > The weavers in any of our periods could have been capable of the
        most
        > spectacular things!!! Both in design and in craftsmanship. The
        best way
        > to choose a fabric, knowing that they had the fiber and the
        capability,
        > is to judge by your persona's personal wealth, privilege, class,
        etc.
        > The longer it took to make, the more costly materials used and the
        > farther it had to be transported will determine its affordability
        to a
        > persona. If you had enough money you could get anything you wanted
        > (generally speaking).
        >
        > Fabrics were transported on the trade routes from the earliest
        recorded
        > times. The best wools found their way to the Mediterranean regions
        (and
        > in the earlier Medieval era when trade was less expensive and
        dangerous)
        > even cheap, lightweight wools went too. The cottons went west and
        found
        > their way to the wealthy and important. The people who weren't
        wealthy &
        > important had the fabrics that were made locally with local
        materials.

        > And no, darn it all, I don't have a map by date of what raw
        materials
        > were available where, along with trade routes... Anybody else have
        one I
        > could input into my research?
        > Pretty please?
        >
        > I will be going to the Endless Hills event on Nov
        12..."Fasching"...and