RE: [sig] Illustration; inspiration needed!

  • jennifer knox
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
      yeah, but NONE of those are medieval...
      anya

      Stephanie Ross <hlaislinn@...> wrote:
      My advice is to look at the Russian lacquer boxes out at Ebay. The paintings on the boxes depict scenes from Russian fairy tales, and the Firebird is very popular. Usually the

      "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

    • Stephanie Ross
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
        Icons are your best bet then. They won't depict princes rescuing princesses unless it's St. George though. Here is a gallery of St. George icons. http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/grgestics.html

        Nadya

        yeah, but NONE of those are medieval...
        anya

      • Mesterinde Karen Larsdatter
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
          Aryenne wrote:

          > Try the illustrations here:
          > http://www.lib.ru/LITRA/PUSHKIN/saltan.txt
          > Perhaps they'll help.

          They're smashing! (And Sts. Boris & Gleb aren't too shabby either --
          that was a great tip, Anya!) :)

          Is the webpage above using medieval illustrations? (Russian is one of
          the languages that I don't speak *or* read.) ;) I got the impression
          that it might have been illustrations from a book of Russian folktales
          from the 1960s -- but if they're medieval illos (we try to keep the
          miscellaneous illustrations in this publication to things that are
          based on medieval illuminations & such) then that'd be groovy.

          (In Soviet Russia, newsgroup posts YOU!) :P

          Karen
        • Jenna Mitelman
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 24, 2005
            On 10/23/05, Mesterinde Karen Larsdatter <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:
            > Aryenne wrote:
            >
            > > Try the illustrations here:
            > > http://www.lib.ru/LITRA/PUSHKIN/saltan.txt
            > > Perhaps they'll help.
            >
            >They're smashing! (And Sts. Boris & Gleb aren't too shabby either --
            >that was a great tip, Anya!) :)
            >
            > Is the webpage above using medieval illustrations? (Russian is one of
            > the languages that I don't speak *or* read.) ;) I got the impression
            > that it might have been illustrations from a book of Russian folktales
            > from the 1960s -- but if they're medieval illos (we try to keep the
            > miscellaneous illustrations in this publication to things that are
            > based on medieval illuminations & such) then that'd be groovy.

            I'm pretty sure they are illustrations from a book, but unfortunately,
            I don't know where the book got them.
            I know quite a lot of the garb and other details on them looks fairly
            accurate, but I don't know what time period the actual images come
            from. So it might be a case of medieval-based illustrations, or good
            more-modern illustrations of medieval stuff. Sorry I can't tell you
            more. I would guess though that if you have nothing else, the basic
            look of the people, buildings, etc. should be fairly decent to go off
            of, although I might not recommend copying the images entirely, if
            you'd like a more accurate image.

            ~Aryenne
          • goldschp@tds.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 24, 2005
              For inspiration (and style) but not any extent examples, you might look at period illumination. The Nevskii manuscript I have posted would give you an idea:

              http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/nevskii/nevskii.html

              -- Paul

              > Icons are your best bet then. They won't depict princes rescuing princesses unless it's St. George though. Here is a gallery of St. George icons. http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/grgestics.html
            • Kseniia Smolnianina
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                Well, they're based on a fairy tale written by Pushkin, so that tells
                us something; this particular fairy tale seems to have been written in
                1831 (date at the very bottom of the page). According to the text,
                the illustrator is A. Kurkin, and the pictures were done in 1961.

                -- Kseniia

                --
                **********************************
                Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                  those are pictures from a modern fairy tale book...
                  here's a tip. when you are looking for medieval russian images, search under byzantine art, rather than russian art. i cant send attachments over the yahoo groups, but ill send you a bunch of 14th and 15th century novgorodian icons of st. george.

                  also, i promised a ton of you my byzantine handout and pics of moldavian dresses, life got nuts, im going to do it this weekend!
                  anya

                  ---------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                    hi again, i just uploaded a massive picture of a 14th c. novgorodian icon of the entire st. george story cycle. its under files, st. george.

                    ive got more of the kind, a friend of mine was just in novgorod and took digital pictures of every single medieval thing at the museum, including boots and kids toys, and leather juggling balls! there isnt enough room under pictures to put them all up, though.
                    anya

                    "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                      I have 2 GB worth of space for SIG-related materials on my website. Contact me offlist.

                      -- Paul

                      > ive got more of the kind, a friend of mine was just in novgorod and took digital pictures of every single medieval thing at the museum, including boots and kids toys, and leather juggling balls! there isnt enough room under pictures to put them all up, though.
                      > anya
                    • Stephanie Ross
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                        Speaking of space, I know my pics are taking up a lot of it. Is there a time limit to keep things up? Is everyone done looking at them so that the space can be used for someone else?

                        Nadya

                        hi again, i just uploaded a massive picture of a 14th c. novgorodian icon of the entire st. george story cycle. its under files, st. george.

                        ive got more of the kind, a friend of mine was just in novgorod and took digital pictures of every single medieval thing at the museum, including boots and kids toys, and leather juggling balls! there isnt enough room under pictures to put them all up, though.
                        anya

                        "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

                        Visit your group "sig" on the web.