RE: [sig] Illustration; inspiration needed!

  • Stephanie Ross
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
      My advice is to look at the Russian lacquer boxes out at Ebay. The paintings on the boxes depict scenes from Russian fairy tales, and the Firebird is very popular. Usually the photographs are quite good, so you should be able to find one with enough detail that you can draw from it. The clothing on the people is pretty close to period, especially the male costume.

      Nadya

      Basically, what I'd like is a medieval Russian illustration of a
      terribly dashing prince. ;) (This is for a retelling of the story of
      the Firebird, so if he's doing something like riding in a chariot, with
      a fair damsel, etc., that'd be a bonus.) :)

      Thanks!

      Karen

    • Jenna Mitelman
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 22, 2005
        Karen,

        Try the illustrations here:
        http://www.lib.ru/LITRA/PUSHKIN/saltan.txt
        Perhaps they'll help.

        YIS,

        ~Aryenne

        On 10/22/05, Karen <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:
        > Hello -
        >
        > Working on a publication ("The Oak," the Atlantian A&S newsletter), and
        > we need inspiration for the basis of an illustration, and I thought
        > it'd be good to come here.
        >
        > Basically, what I'd like is a medieval Russian illustration of a
        > terribly dashing prince. ;) (This is for a retelling of the story of
        > the Firebird, so if he's doing something like riding in a chariot, with
        > a fair damsel, etc., that'd be a bonus.) :)
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Karen
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Jenna Mitelman

        (612) 678-5678 (Day)
        (612) 872-0272 (Eve)
        (763) 234-1816 (Cell)

        Jenna.Mitelman@...
      • jennifer knox
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
          yeah, but NONE of those are medieval...
          anya

          Stephanie Ross <hlaislinn@...> wrote:
          My advice is to look at the Russian lacquer boxes out at Ebay. The paintings on the boxes depict scenes from Russian fairy tales, and the Firebird is very popular. Usually the

          "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

        • Stephanie Ross
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
            Icons are your best bet then. They won't depict princes rescuing princesses unless it's St. George though. Here is a gallery of St. George icons. http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/grgestics.html

            Nadya

            yeah, but NONE of those are medieval...
            anya

          • Mesterinde Karen Larsdatter
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
              Aryenne wrote:

              > Try the illustrations here:
              > http://www.lib.ru/LITRA/PUSHKIN/saltan.txt
              > Perhaps they'll help.

              They're smashing! (And Sts. Boris & Gleb aren't too shabby either --
              that was a great tip, Anya!) :)

              Is the webpage above using medieval illustrations? (Russian is one of
              the languages that I don't speak *or* read.) ;) I got the impression
              that it might have been illustrations from a book of Russian folktales
              from the 1960s -- but if they're medieval illos (we try to keep the
              miscellaneous illustrations in this publication to things that are
              based on medieval illuminations & such) then that'd be groovy.

              (In Soviet Russia, newsgroup posts YOU!) :P

              Karen
            • Jenna Mitelman
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 24, 2005
                On 10/23/05, Mesterinde Karen Larsdatter <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:
                > Aryenne wrote:
                >
                > > Try the illustrations here:
                > > http://www.lib.ru/LITRA/PUSHKIN/saltan.txt
                > > Perhaps they'll help.
                >
                >They're smashing! (And Sts. Boris & Gleb aren't too shabby either --
                >that was a great tip, Anya!) :)
                >
                > Is the webpage above using medieval illustrations? (Russian is one of
                > the languages that I don't speak *or* read.) ;) I got the impression
                > that it might have been illustrations from a book of Russian folktales
                > from the 1960s -- but if they're medieval illos (we try to keep the
                > miscellaneous illustrations in this publication to things that are
                > based on medieval illuminations & such) then that'd be groovy.

                I'm pretty sure they are illustrations from a book, but unfortunately,
                I don't know where the book got them.
                I know quite a lot of the garb and other details on them looks fairly
                accurate, but I don't know what time period the actual images come
                from. So it might be a case of medieval-based illustrations, or good
                more-modern illustrations of medieval stuff. Sorry I can't tell you
                more. I would guess though that if you have nothing else, the basic
                look of the people, buildings, etc. should be fairly decent to go off
                of, although I might not recommend copying the images entirely, if
                you'd like a more accurate image.

                ~Aryenne
              • goldschp@tds.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 24, 2005
                  For inspiration (and style) but not any extent examples, you might look at period illumination. The Nevskii manuscript I have posted would give you an idea:

                  http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/nevskii/nevskii.html

                  -- Paul

                  > Icons are your best bet then. They won't depict princes rescuing princesses unless it's St. George though. Here is a gallery of St. George icons. http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/grgestics.html
                • Kseniia Smolnianina
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                    Well, they're based on a fairy tale written by Pushkin, so that tells
                    us something; this particular fairy tale seems to have been written in
                    1831 (date at the very bottom of the page). According to the text,
                    the illustrator is A. Kurkin, and the pictures were done in 1961.

                    -- Kseniia

                    --
                    **********************************
                    Lady Kseniia Smolnianina
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                      those are pictures from a modern fairy tale book...
                      here's a tip. when you are looking for medieval russian images, search under byzantine art, rather than russian art. i cant send attachments over the yahoo groups, but ill send you a bunch of 14th and 15th century novgorodian icons of st. george.

                      also, i promised a ton of you my byzantine handout and pics of moldavian dresses, life got nuts, im going to do it this weekend!
                      anya

                      ---------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                        hi again, i just uploaded a massive picture of a 14th c. novgorodian icon of the entire st. george story cycle. its under files, st. george.

                        ive got more of the kind, a friend of mine was just in novgorod and took digital pictures of every single medieval thing at the museum, including boots and kids toys, and leather juggling balls! there isnt enough room under pictures to put them all up, though.
                        anya

                        "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                          I have 2 GB worth of space for SIG-related materials on my website. Contact me offlist.

                          -- Paul

                          > ive got more of the kind, a friend of mine was just in novgorod and took digital pictures of every single medieval thing at the museum, including boots and kids toys, and leather juggling balls! there isnt enough room under pictures to put them all up, though.
                          > anya
                        • Stephanie Ross
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
                            Speaking of space, I know my pics are taking up a lot of it. Is there a time limit to keep things up? Is everyone done looking at them so that the space can be used for someone else?

                            Nadya

                            hi again, i just uploaded a massive picture of a 14th c. novgorodian icon of the entire st. george story cycle. its under files, st. george.

                            ive got more of the kind, a friend of mine was just in novgorod and took digital pictures of every single medieval thing at the museum, including boots and kids toys, and leather juggling balls! there isnt enough room under pictures to put them all up, though.
                            anya

                            "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

                            Visit your group "sig" on the web.