Re: [sig] Re: Debno Wooden Church

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
      Dear George,
      I have the original Book of the Opolovnikovs in Russian and I was in Kizhi
      last year but they told me that Mr. Opol. is dead and his wife does no
      longer take care of the Kizhi Museum. When you say there are a lot of
      churches, I should say that it is not so, as Kizhi is a rebuilt village and
      the constructions are a little less than 6! They had the idea of reproducing
      the izby as they were a couple of centuries ago and a church and a chapel
      plus some smaller buildings. The aim of this museum is to show people how
      you can use wood to do practically everything, from a house to a pair of
      shoes. It does not exhibit monuments or pieces thereof.
      Aldo