Re: Debno Wooden Church

  • George
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      Dear Magdalena,

      I havent found any pics of the interior of that church but I do
      own
      a copy of "The Wooden Architecture of Russia by Alexander Opolovnikov
      and Yelena Opolovnikova copyright 1989 which has other color
      interior pics of churches if that might help. I bought the book 15
      years ago and use it when I make miniature dioramas of the Great
      Patriotic War. I will tell you this the photos are beautiful both the
      color and black and whites. These were taken from the Lake Onega and
      Kizhi areas where apparently a lot of old wooden churches and
      buildings were moved there to preserve them.

      I know I do not post and am a Lurker but I do thank everyone for
      this group as I am a long time student of ancient Rus and the Ukraine.
      This group has helped me find tons of info that I just couldn't find
      and is helping me to set up a persona for costuming and maybe even
      SCA'ing so if I can be of assistance plese feel free to ask.

      George aka Yuri

      -- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Magdalena Gdanska" <nunother56@y...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings all. Haven't posted in a while. Does anyone have a clear
      > photo or drawing of any of the designs from the interior of the
      Debno
      > wooden church? I have two but neither are clear. I was thinking of
      > using a design in an embroidery project.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Magdalena Gdanska

    • aldo
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
        Dear George,
        I have the original Book of the Opolovnikovs in Russian and I was in Kizhi
        last year but they told me that Mr. Opol. is dead and his wife does no
        longer take care of the Kizhi Museum. When you say there are a lot of
        churches, I should say that it is not so, as Kizhi is a rebuilt village and
        the constructions are a little less than 6! They had the idea of reproducing
        the izby as they were a couple of centuries ago and a church and a chapel
        plus some smaller buildings. The aim of this museum is to show people how
        you can use wood to do practically everything, from a house to a pair of
        shoes. It does not exhibit monuments or pieces thereof.
        Aldo