entertainment vs. history, a random thought...

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
      Lets not let the endemic bickering of the Old
      World color this "new world" we are all creating, si
      vous plait. Michael Chriton is a hack genre writer, as
      is well known, so I doubt that anyone ever uses his
      works as any serious historical source, even on the
      tertiary level, outside entertainment. OTOH, works of
      modern entertainment often have a utility of shedding
      light on important, yet obscure bits of history that
      might otherwise be overlooked in the shadows of some
      of the historical "monolith" areas of discussion and
      research.......
      Back to the subject, is there a group that
      encompasses the middleground, sans political dogma,
      and takes the pragmatic approach of fairly rapid
      assimilation with trace influence in the already
      existant culture? I know of hardly any human culture
      at any point in history that hasn't been noticably
      affected by contact with other cultures, sometimes
      quite pervasively and enduringly.
      'dok

      http://mail.yahoo.com