Debno Wooden Church

  • Magdalena Gdanska
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
      Greetings all. Haven't posted in a while. Does anyone have a clear
      photo or drawing of any of the designs from the interior of the Debno
      wooden church? I have two but neither are clear. I was thinking of
      using a design in an embroidery project.

      Thank you.

      Magdalena Gdanska
    • George
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
        Dear Magdalena,

        I havent found any pics of the interior of that church but I do
        own
        a copy of "The Wooden Architecture of Russia by Alexander Opolovnikov
        and Yelena Opolovnikova copyright 1989 which has other color
        interior pics of churches if that might help. I bought the book 15
        years ago and use it when I make miniature dioramas of the Great
        Patriotic War. I will tell you this the photos are beautiful both the
        color and black and whites. These were taken from the Lake Onega and
        Kizhi areas where apparently a lot of old wooden churches and
        buildings were moved there to preserve them.

        I know I do not post and am a Lurker but I do thank everyone for
        this group as I am a long time student of ancient Rus and the Ukraine.
        This group has helped me find tons of info that I just couldn't find
        and is helping me to set up a persona for costuming and maybe even
        SCA'ing so if I can be of assistance plese feel free to ask.

        George aka Yuri

        -- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Magdalena Gdanska" <nunother56@y...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings all. Haven't posted in a while. Does anyone have a clear
        > photo or drawing of any of the designs from the interior of the
        Debno
        > wooden church? I have two but neither are clear. I was thinking of
        > using a design in an embroidery project.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Magdalena Gdanska

      • George
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005

          wrote:

          > Greetings all. Haven't posted in a while. Does anyone have a clear
          > photo or drawing of any of the designs from the interior of the
          Debno
          > wooden church? I have two but neither are clear. I was thinking of
          > using a design in an embroidery project.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Magdalena Gdanska

        • aldo
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
            Dear George,
            I have the original Book of the Opolovnikovs in Russian and I was in Kizhi
            last year but they told me that Mr. Opol. is dead and his wife does no
            longer take care of the Kizhi Museum. When you say there are a lot of
            churches, I should say that it is not so, as Kizhi is a rebuilt village and
            the constructions are a little less than 6! They had the idea of reproducing
            the izby as they were a couple of centuries ago and a church and a chapel
            plus some smaller buildings. The aim of this museum is to show people how
            you can use wood to do practically everything, from a house to a pair of
            shoes. It does not exhibit monuments or pieces thereof.
            Aldo