Re:[sig] Pesky Normans!

  • turanomar@libero.it
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
      The are some stereotypes in the Russian Translations into Western languages and it is mostly due to the Soviets who tried by all means to standardize conceits and ideas. PRAVDA RUS'KA (do not forget that advjectives TODAY are placed before the NOUNS) should be translated parallel to Greek as RUSSIAN RIGHT (legal sense)and not Justice as this word could be attribjted only to GOD and CHRIST and not to MAN.

      A curiosity. Ryurik the first Varangian named in the Chronicles came with his brothers, SINEUS and TRUVOR. Probably these brothers never existed as it may be that the Chronicler copied the text from an earlier paper where it was written that Ryurik came with his family and his companions. In norse it would be ... MED SINE HUS OK THRU VAR... i.e. with his household and the sworn members. In fact the mafia bands were usually banned people who congregated and the chief only had the right to bring along wife and children, the sworn members were all SINGLE. This is very important to know because that is why after some time the RUS as SWEDES disappeared and turned into Slavic people... because they married Slavic girls!
      Aldo

      [clip your posts --moderator]
    • goldschp@tds.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
        Aleksandr,

        I am utterly fascinated by this topic and I concur with Mordak: could we talk you into writing a summary for the Winter Slovo?

        -- Paul

        > accused of propaganda to met political aims. But I know of Ukrainian
        > Historians who are Anti-Normanist but not Pan-Slavic proponents.
        > AVL
      • John Kowal
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
          Hey there;
          I can try to right a more concise summary of what I clipped and posted
          but as I said the article I found on the net was in my opinion pretty
          good. Whats the deadline date for the Winter Slovo?
          AVL

        • goldschp@tds.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2005
            January 1 for the Winter issue. Give or take a day of course. Hangovers are a bitch. :)

            -- Paul

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 24, 2005
              Happy Holidays!
              I can't remember what the article was about? The Normanist vs Anti
              Normanist points of view? As it stands really behind on stuff right now
              anyway. But I hope to get you an article sometime in the new year for a
              Slovo.
              AVL