Re: [sig] Pesky Normans!

  • John Kowal
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
      Greetings All;
      On 4-Oct-05, at 1:16 PM, <goldschp@...> wrote:
      > Does the Anti-Normanist School have any influence outside of Eastern
      > Europe? And what is its relationship with Pan-Slavism (which I
      > generally think of as a conservative, and not a liberal movement)?
      > -- Paul

      Does the Anti-Normanist School have any influence outside of Eastern
      Europe? Possibly some but the Normanist School of thought has been
      around for a lot longer and hence has inertia on its side so as the
      clip I posted suggested it is more widely accepted of the two.

      And what is its relationship with Pan-Slavism (which I generally think
      of as a conservative, and not a liberal movement)? There is an arguable
      link as Russia/Soviet Union/Russia have used both theories to express
      their leadership/influence over others. Some of the credibility of the
      hence is lacking as some of the research that has come out has been
      accused of propaganda to met political aims. But I know of Ukrainian
      Historians who are Anti-Normanist but not Pan-Slavic proponents.
      AVL
    • turanomar@libero.it
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
        The are some stereotypes in the Russian Translations into Western languages and it is mostly due to the Soviets who tried by all means to standardize conceits and ideas. PRAVDA RUS'KA (do not forget that advjectives TODAY are placed before the NOUNS) should be translated parallel to Greek as RUSSIAN RIGHT (legal sense)and not Justice as this word could be attribjted only to GOD and CHRIST and not to MAN.

        A curiosity. Ryurik the first Varangian named in the Chronicles came with his brothers, SINEUS and TRUVOR. Probably these brothers never existed as it may be that the Chronicler copied the text from an earlier paper where it was written that Ryurik came with his family and his companions. In norse it would be ... MED SINE HUS OK THRU VAR... i.e. with his household and the sworn members. In fact the mafia bands were usually banned people who congregated and the chief only had the right to bring along wife and children, the sworn members were all SINGLE. This is very important to know because that is why after some time the RUS as SWEDES disappeared and turned into Slavic people... because they married Slavic girls!
        Aldo

        [clip your posts --moderator]
      • goldschp@tds.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
          Aleksandr,

          I am utterly fascinated by this topic and I concur with Mordak: could we talk you into writing a summary for the Winter Slovo?

          -- Paul

          > accused of propaganda to met political aims. But I know of Ukrainian
          > Historians who are Anti-Normanist but not Pan-Slavic proponents.
          > AVL
        • John Kowal
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
            Hey there;
            I can try to right a more concise summary of what I clipped and posted
            but as I said the article I found on the net was in my opinion pretty
            good. Whats the deadline date for the Winter Slovo?
            AVL

          • goldschp@tds.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2005
              January 1 for the Winter issue. Give or take a day of course. Hangovers are a bitch. :)

              -- Paul

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 24, 2005
                Happy Holidays!
                I can't remember what the article was about? The Normanist vs Anti
                Normanist points of view? As it stands really behind on stuff right now
                anyway. But I hope to get you an article sometime in the new year for a
                Slovo.
                AVL