Re: [sig] Book: Kiev Rus, by B. Grekov - thoughts?

  • John Kowal
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2005
      Greetings All;
      If I might comment.
      On 3-Oct-05, at 12:41 PM, <goldschp@...> wrote:
      > Aldo,
      > So, what is "Pravda Rus'ka"? And what is an "antinormanist"??
      > -- Paul
      >
      >> contemporary institutions in the rest of East Europe. I found very
      >> interesting, as far i Was concerned, all the study about Pravda
      >> Rus'ka. You say he was a leading antinormanist, but I think it is
      >> worth discussing about this normanism/antinormanism. It would be the
      >> same as if in

      1)So, what is "Pravda Rus'ka"?
      Yaroslav promulgated the first East Slavic law code, Rus'ka pravda
      (Justice of Rus'). Though I have only read portions of Grekov's work it
      would be a primary document to which Grekov no doubt have referred to
      in his study.

      2) And what is an "antinormanist"?
      See below clip. I couldn't really express it ant better.

      Rus' (people)
      The material from this article should be included into Etymology of Rus
      and derivatives.

      The origins of the Rus (or Rus' , Русь) are controversial. Whereas most
      Western historians tend to give credence to the Normanist theory, many
      Slavic scholars are strongly opposed and work to find other origins.

      Culture and heritage is what is ultimately at stake in this
      controversy. The question is whether East Slavic civilisation owes an
      element of its cultural origin to the Scandinavian rulers of the 9th to
      11th centuries, as suggested by the Normanist theory, or whether that
      heritage can excusively attributed to the Slavs, as held by the
      Slavists.

      The question is emotionally charged. In the 1770s, one imperial Russian
      historian presenting the Normanist theory in St. Petersburg was forced
      to curtail his lecture by shouts from the audience and forced to cease
      his work on the issue. His work was destroyed (Source: Davies).

      The Normanist theory

      ----------

      ----------

      The Varangian world.

      This theory is called the Normanist theory, as it suggests that Kievan
      Rus' may have been named after its Scandinavian overlords just as
      Normandy. According to the Primary Chronicle, a historical compilation
      attributed to the 12th century, Rus was a group of Varangians who lived
      on the other side of the Baltic sea, in Scandinavia. The Varangians
      were first expelled, then invited to rule the warring Slavic and Finnic
      tribes of Novgorod:
      The four tribes who had been forced to pay tribute to the Varangians -
      Chuds, Slavs, Merians, and Krivichs drove the Varangians back beyond
      the sea, refused to pay them further tribute, and set out to govern
      themselves. But there was no law among them, and tribe rose against
      tribe. Discord thus ensued among them, and they began to war one
      against the other. They said to themselves, "Let us seek a prince who
      may rule over us, and judge us according to custom. Thus they went
      overseas to the Varangians, to the Rus. These particular Varangians
      were known as Rus, just as some are called Swedes, and others Normans
      and Angles, and still others Gotlanders, for they were thus named. The
      Chuds, the Slavs, the Krivichs and the Ves then said to the Rus, "Our
      land is great and rich, but there is no order in it. Come reign as
      princes, rule over us". Three brothers, with their kinfolk, were
      selected. They brought with them all the Rus and migrated (The Primary
      Chronicle).

      Later, the Primary Chronicle tells us, they conquered Kiev and created
      Kievan Rus'. The territory they conquered was named after them (see
      Etymology of Rus and derivatives) as were, eventually, the local people
      (cf. Normans).

      The Normanist theory is also based on Ibn Fadlan who uses the name
      Rusiyyah for a group of people who are usually interpreted as Vikings
      near Astrakhan, and on the Persian traveler Ibn Rustah who allegedly
      visited Novgorod and described how the Rus' exploited the Slavs.
      As for the Rus, they live on an island ...that takes three days to walk
      round and is covered with thick undergrowth and forests; it is most
      unhealthy....They harry the Slavs, using ships to reach them; they
      carry them off as slaves and...sell them. They have no fields but
      simply live on what they get from the Slav's lands....When a son is
      born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand;
      throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property:
      You have only what you can provide with this weapon." (Ibn Rustah,
      according to the National Geographic, March 1985)

      When the Varangians arrived in Constantinople, the Byzantines
      considered and described the Rhos (Greek Tsm) as a different people
      from the Slavs. In De Administrando Imperio[1] is given the names of
      the Dniepr cataracts in both Rhos and in Slavic. The Rhos names:
      E Essoupi (Old Norse vesuppi, "do not sleep")
      E Oulvorsi (Old Norse holmfors, "island rapid")
      E Gelandri (Old Norse gjallandi, "yelling, loudly ringing")
      E Aeifor (Old Norse eiforr, "ever fierce")
      E Varouforos (Old Norse varufors, "cliff rapid" or barufors, "wave
      rapid")
      E Leanti (Old Norse leandi, "seething", or hlaejandi, "laughing")
      E Stroukoun (Old Norse strukum, "rapid current").

      It is also due to the annals of Saint Bertan which relate that Emperor
      Louis II' court in Ingelheim, 839 (the same year as the first
      appearance of Varangians in Constantinople), was visited by a
      delegation from the Byzantine emperor. In this delegation there were
      two men who called themselves Rhos (Rhos vocari dicebant). Louis
      enquired about their origins and learnt that they were Swedes. Fearing
      that they were spies for their brothers, the Danes, he incarcerated
      them.

      This theory claims that the name Rus, like the Finnish name for Sweden,
      is derived from an Old Norse term for "the men who row" (rods-) as
      rowing was the main method of navigating the Russian rivers, and that
      it is linked to the Swedish province of Roslagen (Rus-law) or Roden,
      from which most Varangians came. The name Rus would then have the same
      origin as the Finnish and Estonian names for Sweden: Ruotsi and Rootsi.

      In contemporary Scandinavian sources Eastern Europe was occasionally
      called Greater Sweden or Sweden the Cold beside a much popular name
      Gardarike (the land of cities). A similar way of naming an area of
      colonies has been used for southern Italy, Magna Graeca (Greater
      Greece).

      It has been suggested that the Vikings had some enduring influence in
      Rus, as testified by loan words, such as yabeda "complaining person"
      (from aembaetti "office"), skot "cattle" (from skattr "tax") and knout
      (from knutr, "a knotty wood"). Moreover three Nordic names of the first
      Varangian rulers also became popularized, i.e., Oleg (Helgi), Olga
      (Helga) and Igor (Ingvar).

      The proponents of the so-called "Normanist theory" of the Russian state
      - including Nikolai Karamzin and, later, Sergey Pogodin - wrote about
      the claims of the Primary Chronicle that the Varangians were invited by
      East Slavs to rule over them and bring order. The theory was not
      without political implications. In Karamzin's writing the normanist
      theory formed the basis and justification for Russian autocracy, and
      Pogodin used the theory to claim that the Russian state was immune to
      social upheavals and revolutions, because people's submission to their
      rulers was voluntary from the very beginning.

      The Antinormanist theories

      Scholars from Eastern Europe have criticised the Normanist theory.
      Already in the 19th century the "Normanist theory" was disputed by the
      more liberal sectors of Russian society and by some Polish historians.
      Even earlier, Mikhail Lomonosov had written about how problematic he
      felt the Normanist theory to be.

      Some non-Normanist origins for the Rus have been expounded:
      E From the Old Slavic name that meant "river-people" (tribes of
      fishermen and ploughmen who settled near rivers Dnieper, Don, Dniester
      and Western Dvina and were known to navigate them). "Rus" root
      preserved in modern Slavic and Russian words "Ruslo" (river-bed),
      "Rusalka" (mermaid) etc.
      E From one of two rivers in Ukraine (near Kiev and Pereyaslav), Ros'
      and Rusna, whose names are derived from a postulated Slavic term for
      water, akin to rosa (dew) (related to the above theory)
      E A Slavic word rusy (refers only to hair color - from dark ash-blond
      to light-brown), cognate with ryzhy (red-haired) and English red.
      E A postulated proto-Slavic word for bear, cognate with arctos and
      ursus.
      E The Iranian tribe of the Roxolani (from the Persian, rokhs .light・;
      R figqZ Wdadgq /rusyje volosy/ "light-brown hair"; cf. Dahl's
      dictionary definition of Eigr /rus/: Eigr \. W ]cUm. b^f, VZagWZh. Rus,
      fig. world, universe [VZagWZh: lit. "white world", "white light"]).

      The fact that Vikings used a particular name for the area, Gardar
      ("Cities"), is presented as an argument against the Normanist theory.
      The Norse sagas demonstrate that the Vikings' knowledge of Eastern
      Slavic lands was slight. For instance, they usually considered not Kiev
      ("Kaenugardr") but Novgorod ("Holmgardr") as the capital of Rus.

      According to F. Donald Logan (The Vikings in History, cit. Montgomery,
      p. 24), "in 839, the Rus' were Swedes. In 1043, the Rus' were Slavs."
      The Scandinavians were completely absorbed and, unlike their brethren
      in England and in Normandy, they left little cultural heritage in
      Eastern Europe.

      This almost complete absence of cultural traces (besides several names,
      as discussed above, and arguably the veche-system of Novgorod, see
      ting) is remarkable, and the Slavicists therefore call the Vikings
      "cultural chameleons", who came, ruled and then disappeared, leaving
      little cultural trace in Eastern Europe. This seems to suggest that
      these Rus' were a small group, less than a people in the nation sense
      of the word; less than an ethnos.

      This conclusion leads Slavicists to deny or reinterpret the Primary
      Chronicle, which claims that the Danish (or Swedish) Rus' were
      "invited". They claim that Nestor, a putative author of the Chronicle,
      was biased against the pro-Greek party of Vladimir Monomakh and
      supported the pro-Scandinavian party of the ruling prince Svyatopolk.
      They cite Nestor's factual inaccuracies as pro-Scandinavian
      manipulations and compare his account of Rurik's invitation with
      numerous similar stories found in folklore around the world.

      Boris Rybakov, a prominent Soviet historian, felt that the cultural
      level of the Varangians could not have warranted an invitation from the
      equally culturally advanced Slavs.

      References
      E Pavel M. Dolukhanov. The Early Slavs: Eastern Europe from the
      Initial Settlement to the Kievan Rus. New York: Longman, 1996.
      E Omeljan Pritsak. The Origin of Rus'. Cambridge Mass.: Harvard
      University Press, 1991.
      E Norman Davies. Europe: A History. New York: Oxford University
      Press, 1996.
      E The Annals of Saint-Bertin, transl. Janet L. Nelson, Ninth-Century
      Histories 1 (Manchester and New York, 1991).

    • aldo
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hi Paul, Hi folks of SIG!
        Pravda Rus'ka is practically the first written Civil Code of Kievan Rus.
        Usually in modern Russian it is spelt as Russkaja Pravda.
        Ciao

      • turanomar@libero.it
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
          [clip your posts --moderator]

          Hi folks!
          The clip is exhaustive about normanism and antinormanism theories (I would respect the Russian historiography in writing normanist with one N instead of two.I have another theory which goes back to Jared Diamond, an Australian historian who noticed invented a very nice term for a state such as the one the Varangians established in Ladoga (in norse ALDEIGJUBORG where ALDEIGJA - Ladoga - is the transcription of Aled Jogi which in Carelian means Low River because the VOLHOV - the river of Novgorod - hear mouths into the Lake of Ladoga AFTER SOME RAPIDS)and later in Novgorod. The word is CLEPTOCRACY i.e. a state based on burglary and larceny. I, as an Italian, believe that it is better to call the first Varangian State A MAFIA STATE. In my latest work (which i titled CHRIST and the RUS MAFIA) I demonstrate that in the Chronicles it is cealrly stated that the Swedes presented themselves to the local landowners (Slavenes and Finns together) as the mafia does it today: WE ARE ARMED PEOPLE WHO ARE AT YOUR DISPOSAL FOR DEFENDING YOU FROM OTHER ARMED PEOPLE THAT HAUNT THIS COAST. YOU PAY AND WE WILL DEFEND YOU FROM THEM. This simply masquerades the fact that the Varangians themselves were THE MENACE! So at the end where Novgorod lies today there forms three centers: On the left bank there is the DETINEZ (which can be translated as CHILDRENS STOCKING CENTER where the hostages were kept and where also the kinds to be sold as slaves were locked up by the Swedes) while on the right bank divided by the ZHILOTUG (a canal rivulet) south were the Slavenes and north the TCHUDES (finns) and each controled the other. Why did the Varangians come to such a solution? If you remember the Vikings started to plunder and sackage the next to them seacoasts which were inhabited by Christians and had already abbeys and churches where local riches where kept, so the Vikings had an immediate revenue on their expeditions abroad. All the contrary happened for the Eastern Vikings who arrived here and the coast were desolated: No church, no people (finns and the balts used to live back in the forests and in any case their denisty was very low). Still they knew that Constantinople and BAGHDAD bought from here many valuables such as SLAVES (in the first place), HONEY (il was the most dear and the sole sweeteners for the kings and emperors), WAX (this was a very important raw material to enlighten the dark medieval world and the huge houses of churches and to make bronze objects)etc. So they had to find how to get into this traffic. They first were recruited as BODYGUARDS or CONVOY GUARDS on seasonal salary along the Russian Rivers to the South but then they caught the occasion when the Slavenes invited them to make out a steady way of life by their weapons. Why RUS? My opinion is that this word means simply MAFIA as we use COSA NOSTRA to describe a group of people that uses to act as a Mafia. It may be that they picked it up at the Cazar Kingdom's (AS LATER WAS WITH THE WORD kaghan TO DEFINE THE HEAD OF KIEV)from the Hebrew ROSH/RUSH i.e. the CHIEF.
          Ciao
          Aldo

          [clip your posts --moderator]
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
            That was fascinating! Hopefully a series of articles
            will insue from that so we can all learn more?????
            'dok

            === message truncated ===

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
              >So, what is "Pravda Rus'ka"? And what is >an
              "antinormanist"??

              -- Paul

              Near as I can tell, it seems that the Normanist vs
              AntiNormanist has to do with theories of how Russia
              developed and the origin of the name "Rus'".

              The Normanist theory says that Russia was developed
              and named out of the Scandinavian influence -- using
              the writings of Ibn Fadlan, who calls the norse
              raiders "Rusiyyah", and Ibn Rustah calls them "Rus"
              and differenciated them from the Slavs, the native
              peoples. Basically, it says the Rus were varagians,
              and they took over, just like the Norse in Normandy.

              The AntiNormanist position is that the nation formed
              more from the native Slavic people, with a source for
              the word "Rus" being imbedded in the slavic language:
              Ruslo (riverbed), Rusalka (river-spirit). Also the
              two rivers in the Ukraine the Ros' and Rusna. The
              AntiNormanists contend that the norse/scandinavian
              influence was completely absorbed by the local
              culture, leaving hardly a trace.

              So it's an argument of both ethnography and etymology.

              I have to read more before I'd even begin to form an
              opinion. What I'm finding most entertaining about
              Grekov is the fact that he quotes Marx as a firm
              source for historical anthropology....
              --Sfandra

              ******************
              Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
              Kingdom of the East
              ******************
              "Earth: The most dangerous place known to Man. Billions of humans have died there." --TarynEve, "Desert Isle" (ENTff)

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                Greetings!

                > >So, what is "Pravda Rus'ka"? And what is >an
                > "antinormanist"??
                > -- Paul
                >
                > Near as I can tell, it seems that the Normanist vs
                > AntiNormanist has to do with theories of how Russia
                > developed and the origin of the name "Rus'".
                Actually, as extreme viewpoints, they hardly express the whole truth. The incompleteness of both theories was obvious by end-of-war. The only thing was that usually both arguments were used in the Cold War: that the Slavs were wise enough to live by their own law (USSR), and that the Slavs were stupid enough to lack their own ruling hand even in the early days of Slavic states (Western historians). As with any politic reasons, both theories had distorted historic truth many times. The discussion on that topic raged in the FIDOnet echoconference SU.HISTORY about this spring-summer, and must be available through Googlegroups. Sorry, but it is in Russian. :-)

                > The Normanist theory says that Russia was developed
                > and named out of the Scandinavian influence -- using
                > the writings of Ibn Fadlan, who calls the norse
                > raiders "Rusiyyah", and Ibn Rustah calls them "Rus"
                > and differenciated them from the Slavs, the native
                > peoples. Basically, it says the Rus were varagians,
                > and they took over, just like the Norse in Normandy.
                Actually, Ibn Fadlan (being a VERY emotional and not in the least impartial viewer - say, he reports of seeing a huge log-size snake, on the middle Volga, near Bulgar, some 150-200 kilometers south from Kazan - anyone can use Googlemaps and see how stupid a lie it is) says of some Rus merchants and describes their funeral rituals - saying nothing about their origins. Their origins, pardon me - is stated as a scientific fact by Michael Krichton, the same who wrote Jurassic Park, - his rather pulpy fiction novel The Eaters of the Flesh (13th warrior with Banderas is based on it) cites Ibn Fadlan for pages, to make the reader believe that the characters are really normans, of which there is actually NO proof.
                And, afair, Ibn Ruste says about the tribe Rus, which is a neighbor to the Slavs, and Rus merchants buy from the Slavs. No native vs. newcomers. And some other Arabic source names Rus "a tribe among teh Slavs", - thus, no agreement with the sources even in this.

                Actually, there is no proof that Scandinavians ever called themselves "Rus". The Finns called them ABOUT so (Ruotsi) - yes (and, afair, they called the Swedish like this), but the Scandinavians themselves - never. Even the fact that Ruotsi is related to the word Rus - lacks proof.

                > The AntiNormanist position is that the nation formed
                > more from the native Slavic people, with a source for
                > the word "Rus" being imbedded in the slavic language:
                > Ruslo (riverbed), Rusalka (river-spirit). Also the
                > two rivers in the Ukraine the Ros' and Rusna. The
                Also, the fact that "Rus" for 12 century Russians meant Kiev and Chertnigov region, they could even say "He went to the Rus" meaning a trip from outer regions like Rostov, Novgorod, etc to Kiev, Chernigov, Liubech, etc.

                > AntiNormanists contend that the norse/scandinavian
                > influence was completely absorbed by the local
                > culture, leaving hardly a trace.
                Absolutely. There is a very small circle of Scandinavian words borrowed.
                Also, there is a little wider circle of Russian/Slavic words borrowed by Scandinavians.

                :-)
                BTW, the idea of two antagonist theories just omits something: the legendary Riurik could be
                neither a Slav nor a Scandinavian. In 9-10 century the Slavs could have called a warlord of Celtic origin, they still lived in the south Baltic by then.

                Bye,
                Alex.
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                  > Actually, Ibn Fadlan <SNIP>. Their origins, pardon
                  me - is stated as a scientific fact by Michael
                  Krichton, the
                  > same who wrote Jurassic Park, - his rather pulpy
                  > fiction novel The Eaters of the Flesh (13th warrior
                  > with Banderas is based on it) cites Ibn Fadlan for
                  > pages, to make the reader believe that the
                  > characters are really normans, of which there is
                  > actually NO proof.

                  Here's an americanism for you, Alex: "No shit,
                  Sherlock." :D Crichton's apologia is in the author
                  notes for "Eaters of the Dead". I'm rather offended
                  that you for some unknown reason assumed that I was
                  using a work of fiction as a reference, as if I didn't
                  know the difference, rather than thinking I was
                  attempting to create a brief summary based on acedemic
                  sources. Clearly, if I am making an effort to read
                  straight through this ponderous mass known as Grekov's
                  "Kiev Rus", I am not a johnny-come-lately to the world
                  of acedemic research.

                  I WAS attempting to simply paraphrase the wikipedia
                  article that was posted at the same time whole hog.

                  I personally, as I said at the end of my email, have
                  no thoughts or opinions or even support either the
                  normanist or antinormanist argument, having not done
                  enough research on the subject. Note the "As near as
                  I can tell" at the beginning of my email.

                  >Also, the fact that "Rus" for 12 century Russians
                  >meant Kiev and
                  >Chertnigov region, they could even say "He went to
                  >the Rus" meaning a trip
                  >from outer regions like Rostov, Novgorod, etc to
                  >Kiev, Chernigov, Liubech, etc.

                  Sources? Citations?

                  >BTW, the idea of two antagonist theories just omits
                  >something: the
                  >legendary Riurik could be
                  >neither a Slav nor a Scandinavian. In 9-10 century
                  >the Slavs could have
                  >called a warlord of Celtic origin, they still lived
                  >in the south Baltic by then.

                  Sources? Citations? Archeological references?

                  Please, when you make these "correction" comments of
                  yours, which come across as very definitive in tone,
                  site some sources? Thanks.
                  --Sfandra

                  ******************

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                    Lets not let the endemic bickering of the Old
                    World color this "new world" we are all creating, si
                    vous plait. Michael Chriton is a hack genre writer, as
                    is well known, so I doubt that anyone ever uses his
                    works as any serious historical source, even on the
                    tertiary level, outside entertainment. OTOH, works of
                    modern entertainment often have a utility of shedding
                    light on important, yet obscure bits of history that
                    might otherwise be overlooked in the shadows of some
                    of the historical "monolith" areas of discussion and
                    research.......
                    Back to the subject, is there a group that
                    encompasses the middleground, sans political dogma,
                    and takes the pragmatic approach of fairly rapid
                    assimilation with trace influence in the already
                    existant culture? I know of hardly any human culture
                    at any point in history that hasn't been noticably
                    affected by contact with other cultures, sometimes
                    quite pervasively and enduringly.
                    'dok

                    http://mail.yahoo.com