New England Medieval Conference

  • susannah53
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2005
      This came through on a museum listserv I belong to; thought this might
      interest some people. Susannah

      PLEASE FORWARD AND POST

      New England Medieval Conference
      Oct. 22 &23, 2005
      Higgins Armory Museum and Clark University
      Worcester, MA

      Medieval Conflicts, Modern Concerns

      Registration fees include Sat. cocktail reception and banquet.
      Before Oct. 7: $65 Full-time faculty / $45 Students and independent
      scholars
      After Oct. 7 (Space Permitting): $75 Full-time faculty / $55 Students
      and independent scholars
      Optional Sat. lunch: $15

      To download a registration form: http://www.higgins.org/Calendar/NEMC/

      Program:

      Saturday Oct. 22

      Higgins Armory Museum
      8:00 Registration
      9:00 Session I: Boundaries
      What If We Had the WWW in the Middle Ages? Anisa Mehdi,
      Whetstone Productions
      Just War, Holy War, and Jihad: Early Encounters and Mutual
      Influences. Sohail Hashmi, Mount Holyoke College
      10:30 Session II: Politics and Identity
      An Enemy We Cannot See: Identifying the Jew in Medieval
      Christian Art. Sara Lipton, SUNY Stony Brook.
      Medieval Dukes and Modern Problems: Prospero Strikes Back.
      Virginia Mason Vaughan, Clark University.

      Clark University
      12:00 Lunch
      1:30 Session III:
      Performance: A Woman Taken in Adultery. Directed by Raymond
      Munro, Clark University.

      Higgins Armory Museum
      3:30 Session IV: Christianity and Identity
      Borders and Bodies: Performing the Christian/Imitating the
      Jew. Sylvia Tomasch, Hunter College.
      Boccaccio and Non-Christian Culture. Winthrop Wetherbee,
      Cornell University.
      5:00 Session V: Opening Up Corpora
      Reading and Rejection: English Reformation Bible Reading.
      James Simpson, Harvard University.
      Medieval Byzantine Medical and Herbal Practices. Alain
      Touwaide, Historian, Dept. of Botany, National Museum of Natural
      History.
      6:30 Cocktail Reception
      7:30 Banquet (catered by Cardoos)

      Sunday Oct. 23

      Higgins Armory Museum
      9:00 Session VI: Round Table Discussion with Conference Speakers
      10:00 Tour with HAM Executive Director Kent dur Russell