Re: [sig] Translation inquiry - part II

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
      Greetings!

      > Wow...thanks for all of the responses. To clarify some....
      > a) this isn't firm yet. I need to check on one or two things first,
      > but I wanted to know if I had a resource out there who could help
      > b) I actually have a Cyrillic-like script, and that's not what I'm
      > looking for. I am looking for English text translated into Russian, and
      > into the Cyrillic alphabet. I know that the alphabet was changed some
      > by Stalin (I believe), so if the old letters, and not the new, could be
      Not much like this, I'm afraid. By early 1900s there were too many odd letters in Russian, that referred to spelling norms of middle ages. There was simply no reason except traditions to write "i" through latinic-like i or through typically Russian i (same thing in Ukrainian, but they write latinic-like i for i-sound, and Russian-like i for y-sound, Russian pronunciation lacks that reason), or "e" using e or the now extinct "er", - thus they drew a language reform, it was ready by 1916, and - ! - only because the WWI and the revolution postponed such stuff for years, the reform was usually understood as "one of those Bolshevik novelties". But nothing of the kind, Russian simply contained too many letters that belonged to sounds long extinct. It is the same as to spill tears for absence of AE letter, that was typical to Old English.

      > used that'd be fantastic. I also realize that some things won't
      > translate, so that will have to be transliterated (ouch! that can't be
      > a word).
      > c) The text may get long, though I'm generally not one of those 400
      > word scribes. Assuming everything checks out, I'd need the Cyrillic
      > text by the end of October, beginning of November to do what I need to.

      I must have missed something... WHAT is the text you need to translate?

      Bye,
      Alex